Nutrient export: Algae scrubber, skimmer or refugium?

BRS

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I'm running at the moment on my two-month old tank is a Reefmat (which is great btw). Starting to get some algae so I figure it's time to take export to the next level.

Any comments or recommendations? Do you have specific models that you'd endorse? TIA

AquaCave Logo Banner

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presume that you have a sump if you asking about scrubber, skimmer or refugium.
I would start with skimmer, not only it helps with nutrient export, but also aerates water and stabilizes pH. If skimmer is not enough, you can add other options, like refugium, GFO or Carbon dosing, but it's to early for that now. Not a big fan of algae scrubber, but I am sure some people love it.

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two month old system what you are seeing is part of the process. You don't need to throw anything at it. Skimmer if that is something you are going to implement but algae scrubber and refugium is questionable at this time. Also read up a bit, if you haven't already, on what a refugium is. There are two seats around that campfire so be prepared. Refuge is part of the word keep in mind.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two month old system what you are seeing is part of the process. You don't need to throw anything at it. Skimmer if that is something you are going to implement but algae scrubber and refugium is questionable at this time. Also read up a bit, if you haven't already, on what a refugium is. There are two seats around that campfire so be prepared. Refuge is part of the word keep in mind.
Yeah, I get that I'm gonna have the uglies for a bit. Just trying to decide the next step. Not looking forward to another piece of hardware to clean and service regularly. But I've always assumed I'd need a skimmer at some point.

WallyTime7

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah don't mess anything up with your tank only being 2 months old...
What are your nitrates? If you just started the tank brand new (aka didn't bring water, rock from an older tank, you need to let your bacteria grow and establish itself.
You could technically start a scrubber now because it takes 4-6 weeks to seed the algae build-up, then turn it down when it's done.

My old tank I ran a refugium, too messy for me. New upgraded tank I'm running an algae scrubber and I won't go back. So much cleaner. You'll hear "refugium holds pods", sure, however I does phyto every other evening and my pods are plentiful in my tank - don't need a refugium just for pods. Too many times I had chaeto strands mess up my skimmer and block downstream filters. Not worth it.

cwerner

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run a refugium, scrubber, and skimmer. They are not mutually exclusive (well, not the skimmer with the other two). I love the tunability of a scrubber. Your nutrient export is directly proportional to your light schedule on the mat. It's also much more compact than a full refugium, though with some cons as well. Not going to be a safe haven for beneficial hitchhikers like pods.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah don't mess anything up with your tank only being 2 months old...
What are your nitrates? If you just started the tank brand new (aka didn't bring water, rock from an older tank, you need to let your bacteria grow and establish itself.
You could technically start a scrubber now because it takes 4-6 weeks to seed the algae build-up, then turn it down when it's done.

My old tank I ran a refugium, too messy for me. New upgraded tank I'm running an algae scrubber and I won't go back. So much cleaner. You'll hear "refugium holds pods", sure, however I does phyto every other evening and my pods are plentiful in my tank - don't need a refugium just for pods. Too many times I had chaeto strands mess up my skimmer and block downstream filters. Not worth it.
I put a little livestock in the tank two months ago, but the sand and rock have been cycling since last June with TBS sand, Dr Tims, etc.

Nitrates and Phosphates test fine, I run GFO now and again and I have a monster UV on the tank. I test myself and do a weekly test at the LFS. So I'm not quite sure what the cause is, unless being relatively new setup can be considered a cause, per se.

But okay, one vote for scrubber. I find the idea intriguing.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run a refugium, scrubber, and skimmer. They are not mutually exclusive (well, not the skimmer with the other two). I love the tunability of a scrubber. Your nutrient export is directly proportional to your light schedule on the mat. It's also much more compact than a full refugium, though with some cons as well. Not going to be a safe haven for beneficial hitchhikers like pods.
Two votes for a scrubber. Hmm, it can be tuned...

Brian W

Valuable Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally prefer a skimmer and chaeto right now. Ive used a scrubber and love it as well but its an older model and a little larger and bulkier. I tend to be lazier harvesting algae from the scrubber vs pulling out some chaeto when needed.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally prefer a skimmer and chaeto right now. Ive used a scrubber and love it as well but its an older model and a little larger and bulkier. I tend to be lazier harvesting algae from the scrubber vs pulling out some chaeto when needed.
A vote for fuge / skimmer. Thanks.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Battlecorals
Back