Nuisance sponge?

Kletus429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small white sponges are appearing in several places and even after removal grow back very fast. Can anyone ID them and or have any input on what I could do to control them? Even after pulling out rocks and scraping off all visible sponges they grow right back and are constantly appearing in new places .

8C6300FF-FEE9-47BF-B60D-D62DC305C555.jpeg DF46A729-0D7B-4CA1-90AC-69303480DEC5.jpeg

starfishguy869

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges are harmless filter feeders. They are actually beneficial but can be annoying if they encroach on corals. If you literally cannot bare the sight of a sponge, you can pull the rock out of the tank. Sponges die when they come in contact with air.

OP
OP
Kletus429

Kletus429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your feedback, I have other types of sponge growing in other areas in the tank and nothing spreads/ grows like this one, the pace that it has been spreading throughout the tank in the past few months is alarming. I’ve never been concerned about a sponge before and honestly I won’t let it get to plague proportions, I have been removing rocks and using a toothbrush to remove all the sponge I can see. I’m just wondering if it can be identified so I can learn more about what I can do to keep it from getting out of control.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID them and or have any input on what I could do to control them?
Sponge ID can be very tough, sometimes requiring microscope pics of the spicules, but for ideas on removal:
my post linked below has some ideas you can try - you may also be able to try smothering it using DIY reef snow or similar, but there's no guarantee there:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back