Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen a recent decline in my corals. All of my SPS are losing color and “browning out”. There’s still some polyp extension but not like before. I did a recent ICP test and nothing looks to be out of line. The zinc level was higher than the ICP test previously done. I did some digging and found a veggie clip that had a magnet that was degrading. I removed it a few weeks ago hoping that may have been the issue, but haven’t seen any improvements. Now I’m noticing several of my zoa colonies are not opening. What do I look for now? I can not find anything out of the ordinary that could cause this issue. I’ve done several (10%-15%) water changes. No change. I’m not dosing anything. I have a calc reactor to maintain dkh, calc and mag. No new corals or fish added in the last couple months. No changes in my husbandry. So, now what???

Tank is 1.5 years old and my levels are as follows. System volume is roughly 135 gal. ICP test attached

Alk 7.5 - 8 (Trident)
Calc 420-460 (Trident)
Mag 1300-1400 (trident)
Temp 77-79
N03 5 (Nyos)
P04 .06 (Hanna)
Salinity 35
PH 8.0-8.3

Attachments

• Analyse162267.pdf
    128.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnet is a likely candidate. Parameters look fine. Are you running carbon? You could try that and you may have to perform larger water changes, ie 25%. Hopefully the resident coral experts can weigh-in with some other options for you.

OP
OP
S

sandfan85

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnet is a likely candidate. Parameters look fine. Are you running carbon? You could try that and you may have to perform larger water changes, ie 25%. Hopefully the resident coral experts can weigh-in with some other options for you.
Yes, I run a small carbon reactor with Rox

World Wide Corals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’ve seen a recent decline in my corals. All of my SPS are losing color and “browning out”. There’s still some polyp extension but not like before. I did a recent ICP test and nothing looks to be out of line. The zinc level was higher than the ICP test previously done. I did some digging and found a veggie clip that had a magnet that was degrading. I removed it a few weeks ago hoping that may have been the issue, but haven’t seen any improvements. Now I’m noticing several of my zoa colonies are not opening. What do I look for now? I can not find anything out of the ordinary that could cause this issue. I’ve done several (10%-15%) water changes. No change. I’m not dosing anything. I have a calc reactor to maintain dkh, calc and mag. No new corals or fish added in the last couple months. No changes in my husbandry. So, now what???

Tank is 1.5 years old and my levels are as follows. System volume is roughly 135 gal. ICP test attached

Alk 7.5 - 8 (Trident)
Calc 420-460 (Trident)
Mag 1300-1400 (trident)
Temp 77-79
N03 5 (Nyos)
P04 .06 (Hanna)
Salinity 35
PH 8.0-8.3
First thing I would do- Test water for alk-CA-Mag to assure readings are accurate. Water temps getting too warm will have effect as will bugs/pest
Browning out may be from Too many nutrients leading to overproduction of microscopic algae that live inside the corals tissue known as zooxanthellae.
Zooxanthellae play a vital role in the growth and production of corals, as they both share a mutually-beneficial relationship. The zooxanthellae provides the coral with oxygen and helps to remove waste products such as ammonia and nitrate, allowing the coral to give refuge to the algae so that it can carry out photosynthesis.
As for the nutrients, elevated nutrient levels such as phosphates or nitrates can be perfect food sources for zooxanthellae which cause their overproduction.
Another cause may be insufficient lighting. When the lighting is too low, excessive zooxanthellae production happens.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Read this ^^^^^

Are you saying rox in the carx?

Corals.com

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the article vetteguy53081 copied and pasted from.

OP
OP
S

sandfan85

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Read this ^^^^^

Are you saying rox in the carx?
No I have a separate carbon reactor that has Rox .8 in it

Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm skeptical of any connection of coral issues to use of appropriate levels of ROX 0.8 GAC. Many, many folks have used it without issue, including myself.

One issue with any GAC is that if the water goes from a little yellow to clear, corals may be suddenly hit by more UV and blue light, and that may stress them.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alk 7.5 - 8 (Trident)
Calc 420-460 (Trident)
Mag 1300-1400 (trident)
Temp 77-79
N03 5 (Nyos)
P04 .06 (Hanna)
Salinity 35
PH 8.0-8.3

I'm not really seeing any big issue with the ICP, except to note that you might benefit from a trace element supplement.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley What trace element supplements would you recommend?

As to brands, I do not have a recommendation. You have to pick a brand you trust, since none say what is in it exactly.

Iron and manganese are important, IMO, and I also dosed silicate. Was considering others when I took my tank down, but it went 20 years just fine (seemingly) with no others except 1% daily water changes and foods (an ignored huge source of trace elements).

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

A Reef Creation
Back