Not sure waht to do with this chalice coral

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chalice coral I bought on a whim at a frag swap last March. It was about the size of a silver dollar at that time, and I've never really found the right place for it in my tank. I had it lower down on the rockwork early on, but both it and my elegance coral have grown quite a bit, so I keep moving the chalice up the rockwork.

PXL_20240925_150600456.MP.jpg

It's in a pretty high light and high flow spot right now, which I know is't the usual for these, but I don't have any space on the sand at this point. It seems to have acclimated fine, and is still growing so I don't think the coral really cares at this point.

This is a bit wider shot to help with scale. I didn't measure it, but the coral is probably about 5" in diameter now.

PXL_20240925_150552863.MP.jpg

I don't really know how this thing will grow out. I get all sorts of answers online, followed up by photos of little frags that don't help much. The best I can tell is that this particular type will just keep forming a bigger diameter disk.

Where should I stick it? Here is a wider angle shot. I'm starting to think about the low section in the middle of the tank, but I never intended for this to be a centerpiece coral so I'm not sure I want to give up that space just yet.

PXL_20240925_150618399.MP.jpg

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chalice will keep growing out, most likely follow the top rock and flatten out like a pizza. My LFS has one that is greater than 12"x12". It even grew onto the side/back tank wall after chalice ran out of room.

Chalices are tricky to frag, probably need a dremel with cutting wheel unless you have access to bandsaw.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It will grow like this and it will do fine in high light and current placement

Once it comes in contact with another surface it will bend and grow over it
54F52B3F-91B3-4EDF-A0BB-4B8922994549.jpeg
57B2EB20-9AF0-4F96-854C-A9F4462BA5BD.jpeg

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chalice coral I bought on a whim at a frag swap last March. It was about the size of a silver dollar at that time, and I've never really found the right place for it in my tank. I had it lower down on the rockwork early on, but both it and my elegance coral have grown quite a bit, so I keep moving the chalice up the rockwork.

PXL_20240925_150600456.MP.jpg

It's in a pretty high light and high flow spot right now, which I know is't the usual for these, but I don't have any space on the sand at this point. It seems to have acclimated fine, and is still growing so I don't think the coral really cares at this point.

This is a bit wider shot to help with scale. I didn't measure it, but the coral is probably about 5" in diameter now.

PXL_20240925_150552863.MP.jpg

I don't really know how this thing will grow out. I get all sorts of answers online, followed up by photos of little frags that don't help much. The best I can tell is that this particular type will just keep forming a bigger diameter disk.

Where should I stick it? Here is a wider angle shot. I'm starting to think about the low section in the middle of the tank, but I never intended for this to be a centerpiece coral so I'm not sure I want to give up that space just yet.

PXL_20240925_150618399.MP.jpg
It's going to start to plate when it runs out of rock to encrust.

I just keep breaking it. Very easy to frag.
No rock under that.

20220815_201748.jpg

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I don't know. Maybe I should just leave it where it is. My maxima clam has priority, but it will be a while before they grow together.

I should have mentioned that I don't really have any interest in fragging it. I'd rather just watch it grow.

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to start to plate when it runs out of rock to encrust.
It is pretty well into plating mode now then. The only thing it has encrusted is the frag plug it was on when I bought it. I can pick the whole disk up and move it around at will.

Will it start encrusting the rock if I leave it there long enough, or will it just plate from here on out?

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pretty well into plating mode now then. The only thing it has encrusted is the frag plug it was on when I bought it. I can pick the whole disk up and move it around at will.

Will it start encrusting the rock if I leave it there long enough, or will it just plate from here on out?
If it touches rock it will encrust that. If nothing to touch, it will keep plating.
I updated my first post. Check it out.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back