Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just about made my mind up to pull the trigger on the DX18 Hybrid with the Photon V2 for my 48" tank... but the more I read about the NP K7 Ver 3's, the more they have begun interest me... plus their site has Black Friday Sales so I can get them at a reduced price for the time being.

Tank is for LPS and sofites... 21" depth. I am having difficulty locating coverage chart for the K7s though.

I know that it is truly a matter of preference at this point... but I would be interested in reviews from those who have them and honest pros and cons given your experiences so far.

Thanks in advance.

Nutramar Foods

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a RB Photon user for a long time.

I'm curious, what is the difference in cost?

ThomasTran

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been using k7v3 for over year, it give good par, good for coloring up the coral, also it's good for monti growth IMO, my monti grow so fast with it
the cons is you cannot see a good coloration with it IMO
Like when you take it out of K7 and give it another blue light the sps look more colorful than the K7

Avast
OP
OP
Huey_Gnr

Huey_Gnr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been using k7v3 for over year, it give good par, good for coloring up the coral, also it's good for monti growth IMO, my monti grow so fast with it
the cons is you cannot see a good coloration with it IMO
Like when you take it out of K7 and give it another blue light the sps look more colorful than the K7
Thanks!

Nutramar Foods

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photons give great range of color and intensity that can vary over time during a day. IMHO it's by far the best value in a high end fixture. Unfortunately, as they added some features, the price has gone up and it's not as good a value as they were 5 years ago. But I'd still buy a Photon if I were buying a fixture.

Corals.com
OP
OP
Huey_Gnr

Huey_Gnr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photons give great range of color and intensity that can vary over time during a day. IMHO it's by far the best value in a high end fixture. Unfortunately, as they added some features, the price has gone up and it's not as good a value as they were 5 years ago. But I'd still buy a Photon if I were buying a fixture.
I appreciate the feedback!

spsick

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is more of a personal preference for me and not about overall performance. I like the softer look with middle of the road shimmer.
Right just wondering why you factored the hybrid into the cost using the photon but not using the noopsyche?

OP
OP
Huey_Gnr

Huey_Gnr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right just wondering why you factored the hybrid into the cost using the photon but not using the noopsyche?
Ah... sorry. Was just my thoughts because the hybrid is what I had in my head price wise when I first looked at upgrading, but then when considering the K7s it would have just been for them. I would have to do some measurements to see if they would have fit in the hybrid fixture or if I would have needed to make alterations and then changing the overall price point.

But, I just pulled the trigger on the V2 with the sale RB had going on. With all of the feedback I have read on here, it seemed to be a solid purchase.

AquaCave Logo Banner

spsick

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah... sorry. Was just my thoughts because the hybrid is what I had in my head price wise when I first looked at upgrading, but then when considering the K7s it would have just been for them. I would have to do some measurements to see if they would have fit in the hybrid fixture or if I would have needed to make alterations and then changing the overall price point.

But, I just pulled the trigger on the V2 with the sale RB had going on. With all of the feedback I have read on here, it seemed to be a solid purchase.

Great choice. I’m sure the NPs are great but the RB just has the history of success (with folks like Therman and Battlecorals) and better coverage with a panel form factor.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AVAST
Back