+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Just setup a brand new Waterbox 90.3 tank combined with a ReefMat 500. Unfortunately I am running into an annoying issue with noise coming from the drain pipe, not the overflow - but the pipe. Sounds like it has a wonderful little creek flowing through it.

I am using the default Waterbox plumbing that came with the tank, in the sump I removed the entire filtersock section to make room for the reefmat. So far, so good. I had to shorten the normal overflow pipe to fit the Reefmat 500 hose to it (as normally it ends behind the inlet section of the sump where my big hands cant fit) and connected the hose to the shortened pipe with the given tools from RedSea.

For some reason this system is causing a lot of noise, I have tried placing the Reefmat elsewhere but without any luck.

Any ideas?

B0D9FF42-E06C-4780-AD4F-3595CA81E460.jpeg

BRS

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHAT! SPEAK UP! I CAN"T HEAR YOU OVER THE NOISE! :D

You might try adjusting the drain valve so there's just a slight trickle in hte backup drain line. Over the next few weeks as biofilms build up the noise and flow will change subtly. I'd check it every few days to see if it needs any fine tuning.

OP
OP
R

rickyboy30

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHAT! SPEAK UP! I CAN"T HEAR YOU OVER THE NOISE! :D

You might try adjusting the drain valve so there's just a slight trickle in hte backup drain line. Over the next few weeks as biofilms build up the noise and flow will change subtly. I'd check it every few days to see if it needs any fine tuning.
It’s not the overflow, got that one figured out. It’s the main drain pipe/hose itself where the water is coming from.

Nutramar Foods

FlowGod

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its still the overflow. My waterbox is so annoying when it comes to adjusting the drain valve. I have done it so many times by now I know which each sound is an indication of (haha). My first idea would be the backup drain line like Timfish said. Whenever my level rises and the water starts trickling down the emergency drain pipe it sounds like what you are describing. But if your water level in your overflow box is where it should be and its coming from the main drain, maybe look at the drain valve and see if it is working properly. Turn all the way to one side and the other then dial it in again. Try and see if that helps with the noise. It could also be the sound of water running through the scrunchie tubing you are using at the bottom of the pipe

Last edited:
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back