Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use a skimmer on my 55g zoa frag tank but that is basically all I have in there. From what i read and advice from fellow members Zoa's mostly grow in the shallower areas where all the sediments collect hence why people say they like dirtier water. So running a skimmer seemed to remove what they may like in the wild. I do run a canister filter periodically to help remove some of the waste and cut down on my water changes.

What is your set up and whats in it? That makes alot of difference on yay or nay to a skimmer.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

jonbar1

Growing Out
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run my 12g AquaPod without a skimmer. Just used the sponge that came with the tank, and a chamber modded into a chaeto refugium. I fed mysis, cyclopeeze, oyster eggs, and phyto at least once a week. My growth was good, even under the stock PC lighting the tank came with. I did then and do now a 10% waterchange once or twice a week. Only one problem though, Bryopsis! After I upgraded to a 70w MH, it got even worse and after a couple weeks of pulling Bryopsis out twice a week to keep it from overgrowing the coral I changed things up. I bought a HOB skimmer rated for 70 gallons and removed the sponge and refugium. It is now my only form of filtration and I would never go back. I now only feed once a month, and not nearly as much as I used to and still get as good if not better growth. I am also always sure to do a waterchange the day after feeding, and the Bryopsis finally struggles to grow. The Caulerpa still requires weekly harvesting, but doesn't grow at anywhere near the rate it used to.

I would have to say my growth is better now that I keep much cleaner water, but the lighting is probably more responsible for that. I would consider a skimmer a solution to a problem, and if you don't have that problem I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
geoxman

geoxman

hemp farmer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chad-are you feeding pretty heavy? We need to hook up now that you are into zoos!
dgrcich-I posted pics of my tank in the RC zoo forum. I know, I know big sin, I just have not done so here yet.
jonbar1-I also feed pretty much the same and have never had a problem with algae, but I skim with a modded Octo2000 3-4 days out of the week and I have a good size fuge.
Coralnutz-what are you feeding? I use to use Reef plus, chroma plex, Dt's oyster and phyto and cyclopleeze. I just switched to a homeade version of this with cyclopleze and chromaplex.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=8791724#post8791724
and I debating on shutting the skimmer down to about 1-2 days per week. Any input would be great-if it doesnt work then on with the hair algae!

Last edited:
Corals.com
OP
OP
geoxman

geoxman

hemp farmer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really did not want this to be a skimming VS non skimming thread. I have a very ample skimmer and I just wanted to know whom on this board was not skimming and feeding heavy or lightly skimming. TIA

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back