Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing homemade NO-POX since 7/11/22. Finally got nitrates dropping. I cut back on the amount in both reefs as they continue to drop to 2.8 and 2.9. Watching to try to keep from bottoming out.
However my Phosphates remain high .25 in 210g reef and .65 in 110g reef. Over .9 in my predator tank and already .37 in my new 210g angel tank with nitrates at 6.7. I’ve been keeping filter socks and sponges clean. Regular water changes up to last week, but a little afraid to change any in the reefs with my nitrates dropping. I feed mostly hikari frozen foods mysis, brine, spirulina enriched brine, plus some dried seaweed once daily. I don’t know if there is any chance that phosphates are leaching from my rocks? The new tank was set up with mostly new Coralife life rock, but I added some corals from my reefs and phosphates went from .07 9/10 to .37 9/20.

I’m planning to dose Phosphate-E starting tomorrow, as with NO-POX I am planning to start with 1/4-1/3dose and work up so as not to make super quick changes.

my questions are
1. Is this an ongoing treatment that I should set up through a DOS (I have apex systems)
Or do you stop when you reach a target so I could just hand dose?

2. Is the increase in my new system seem normal, or am I maybe feeding something extra high in phosphate ( or leached from rocks that the corals came in on)
I do feed this tank differently, mega marine angel, Spirulina brine, plankton, all hikari and piscine PE mysis. Been running with fish since 8/22 and added corals 9/9.

thanks for any guidance.
65CEBA40-6F84-4BBF-A5A7-1BA582C4C720.jpeg

Saltees

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing 5-10ml of TM Elimi Phos Rapid (LaCl) into the skimmer head, to drop 0.01-0.05ppm daily from 0.7 to 0.1ppm, thereafter sustained with 2pound/month of GFO at below 0.1ppm on my 120G. Currently, I'm in the process of converting from GFO to biopellets, I'm running 1 pound GFO to keep the PO4 at 0.5ppm, cos without which the PO4 goes beyond 0.9ppm. I would say LaCl is effective and cheap for lowering PO4.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, your tank is still very new and is still trying to reach a good equilibrium. Chasing numbers right now will just start an endless cycle of constant reactive adjustment. Are you seeing any negative effects of your phosphates being between .25 and .70? If algae is not taking over and coral health seems good, then I suggest no more dosing (carbon or otherwise), and doing regular maintenance and water changes. Test often to track trends, but don't rush to add things that aren't necessarily needed...
Again, just my opinion.

Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing 5-10ml of TM Elimi Phos Rapid (LaCl) into the skimmer head, to drop 0.01-0.05ppm daily from 0.7 to 0.1ppm, thereafter sustained with 2pound/month of GFO at below 0.1ppm on my 120G. Currently, I'm in the process of converting from GFO to biopellets, I'm running 1 pound GFO to keep the PO4 at 0.5ppm, cos without which the PO4 goes beyond 0.9ppm. I would say LaCl is effective and cheap for lowering PO4.
But how old was your tank when you started using LaCl and GFO?

OP
OP
HankstankXXXL750

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, your tank is still very new and is still trying to reach a good equilibrium. Chasing numbers right now will just start an endless cycle of constant reactive adjustment. Are you seeing any negative effects of your phosphates being between .25 and .70? If algae is not taking over and coral health seems good, then I suggest no more dosing (carbon or otherwise), and doing regular maintenance and water changes. Test often to track trends, but don't rush to add things that aren't necessarily needed...
Again, just my opinion.
In my reefs I was fighting nitrates approaching 30 bringing them down over the last 1 1/2 months, but phosphates are still high. Having some tissue loss on a birds nest, lost two heads on a torch, and two other euphorias, I think my green acros might be bleaching towards the ends. Thinking the imbalance in the NO3 vs PO4 may have something to do with this. As for the new tank, it seems that my nitrates are going up slowly, but phosphates really jumped. I did several smaller water changes as I raised the salinity from 1.020-1.025 as I QT’d the first inhabitants at 1.020 and wanted the transition to be smooth and easy. Then I did 40g water change the last two weeks. Not as concerned about that tank at this point, but figured I should ask in case it triggers a warning light for someone. Also trying to be proactive vs reactive. Would like to avoid a huge GHA bloom and getting nutrients super high. Want to develop this tank’s stability from the start if possible.

Nutramar Foods

Saltees

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my reefs I was fighting nitrates approaching 30 bringing them down over the last 1 1/2 months, but phosphates are still high. Having some tissue loss on a birds nest, lost two heads on a torch, and two other euphorias, I think my green acros might be bleaching towards the ends. Thinking the imbalance in the NO3 vs PO4 may have something to do with this. As for the new tank, it seems that my nitrates are going up slowly, but phosphates really jumped. I did several smaller water changes as I raised the salinity from 1.020-1.025 as I QT’d the first inhabitants at 1.020 and wanted the transition to be smooth and easy. Then I did 40g water change the last two weeks. Not as concerned about that tank at this point, but figured I should ask in case it triggers a warning light for someone. Also trying to be proactive vs reactive. Would like to avoid a huge GHA bloom and getting nutrients super high. Want to develop this tank’s stability from the start if possible.
IMHO, PO4 is pretty easy to bring down with LaCl doing the heavy lifting, and GFO to maintain it at low level. Initially with amount of “locked in PO4” in the substrates, you will see a state mate, but gradually with slow dosing of LaCl in the skimmer neck will yield a steady drop. Once at 0.1ppm, that’s where you hold the PO4 with GFO. I like mine to be at 0.05-0.07ppm.

I am running ATS and Refugium from day one, and they are thriving without a doubt, but inadequate to bring my nutrients down to my liking. However, they are great at keeping the greens away from my display, with just a weekly clean of the glass with the TUNZE magnet. They do consume trace elements though, a bit of BW Chaetogro should fix that.

NO3 is a different beast, mine kept constant at around 40ppm, even with 15-20% water change weekly.

All of the above, prompted me to give biopellet a go, in quest of managing PO4 and NO3 holistically and concurrently, as what the ATS and the refugium was tasked to do originally.

I’m no longer chasing specific numbers, but balancing them. Fishes and corals can and will adapt.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back