No Algae Anywhere, but green tint to water?

Deltec

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a FOWLR tank with room lighting (room lights are over tank so fish show up nicely anyway l, could probably improve with actual aquarium lights, but fine for now.

I have a refugium, with rocks (copepod farm), and a grow light that’s turned on overnight.

I can’t see a single speck of algae on the glass or rocks, of any description, anywhere, not even on the highest rocks directly under the grow light.

What I can see is a noticeable green tint to the water… I first noticed this a little after adding a frozen food that was highly green colored, but I’m not sure that’s the source as the tint has persisted for a while now. It doesn’t seem to be getting worse, but it ain’t getting better either.

Any idea what’s causing this or what I can do to cut it down?

Corals.com
Avast
OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding your copepods phytoplankton? That could be the source of the green tint. Also, a high quality activated carbon may eliminate it.
No, no supplemental feeding beyond whatever detritus makes it their way. The fish food includes stuff like spirulina that I know pods eat, among other stuff.

That's algae /in/ the water. What does your refugium look like, and what are your parameters? Specifically, nitrates and phosphates.

I realized I should have e tested before posting and am out now, I’ll follow up with a photo and parameters.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's algae /in/ the water. What does your refugium look like, and what are your parameters? Specifically, nitrates and phosphates.

So I’m not 100% on interpreting the colors, and am assuming I’m supposed to look at the tubes side on rather than down.

I make:

Phosphates: 0.25
Nitrate: ~5

Included pictures of the sump, the goals of this are almost entirely for pod production, and it seem to work. The water enters the middle chamber at the base, has a 2” free flow area under the rocks and diffuses up through them sending countless numbers of them into the return chamber and then their eventual doom in the DT. But as you see, not a hint of algae even right under a grow light.

Have plans for a skimmer, but for the time being the nutrients sure seem on the low side so it hasn’t been an immediate concern.

Weirdly, photos through the tank don’t show the tint that’s very clear, albeit not horrific, when looking at it. Like the camera is color correcting.

9A8AED80-9914-4B34-A537-E7B8133527DA.jpeg

8D7627DF-9A4B-4066-83B7-8C3698217FCE.jpeg
1B0CFF9D-ED8F-4BDF-B14D-D45F313E59F5.jpeg
ADCBD1F5-E177-4966-9CB5-5158D955E785.jpeg
64992E25-9D35-435D-A69B-D2CC1D210AF5.jpeg

diwit

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a FOWLR tank with room lighting (room lights are over tank so fish show up nicely anyway l, could probably improve with actual aquarium lights, but fine for now.

I have a refugium, with rocks (copepod farm), and a grow light that’s turned on overnight.

I can’t see a single speck of algae on the glass or rocks, of any description, anywhere, not even on the highest rocks directly under the grow light.

What I can see is a noticeable green tint to the water… I first noticed this a little after adding a frozen food that was highly green colored, but I’m not sure that’s the source as the tint has persisted for a while now. It doesn’t seem to be getting worse, but it ain’t getting better either.
minecraft banner designs
Any idea what’s causing this or what I can do to cut it down?
this is my second year managing my pool and last year was fairly easy thanks to TFP.

my water is clear but has a strong green tint to it, and based on what I have read here I suspect that it is a copper issue.

my overnight FC loss was 0 and I a have a heater that has not been working.

i have several questions

Can I assume based on the he above information that green color is from copper?

How do I deal with the issue to get the pool back to blue.

It seems like there is a knob on the heater pipes to divert the water but I am not familiar enough with the equipment. Is it possible that I need to open another valve if I close the heater valve. Just afraid I might break my equipment..

FC 3.5
PH 7.8
CH 375
TA 210
CYA 55

Thanks!

World Wide Corals
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Corals.com
Back