Niger trigger swimming erratically, not eating, not sure what’s wrong (video at the end of message).

BRS

msavoy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll add a video at the end of this message to show how he’s behaving. He started acting strangly around one week ago. He started hiding in a new place and then stopped eating. 3 days ago I forced him out of hiding and put him in a small, separate container attached to the main tank. He was very lethargic at this point. I managed to hand feed him quite a bit that day. As much as he’d normally eat in 3 days. After that he started moving his fins more and seemed more energetic. For the past 2 days he hasn’t eaten at all but he has a lot more energy but he’s swimming around the tank very erratically, upside down, in loops, bobbing in and out of the water, spitting water out of his mouth. I’m not sure what else I can do for him. I’ve had him for 2 years and he’s been perfectly healthy until now. Absolutely nothing in the tank has changed within the past month so I have no idea what could be wrong. All the other fish are fine. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Thanks for your help.

Avast

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either velvet or flukes or both unless you ammonia is high.

what’s the history of this trigger and the tank?

take him out asap and QT him

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
M

msavoy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either velvet or flukes or both unless you ammonia is high.

what’s the history of this trigger and the tank?

take him out asap and QT him
Also would it be possible for him to have velvet if he hasn’t had it in the past 2 years? Do they carry it and it’s dormant?

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would it be possible for him to have velvet if he hasn’t had it in the past 2 years? Do they carry it and it’s dormant?
Yes they can get reinfected. No vaccine or group immunity altho some argue that a higher tolerance or resistant by his own immune system would develop

Corals.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a lateral view video under white lights? It is really difficult to see anything too down under blue lights.
Jay

OP
OP
M

msavoy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a lateral view video under white lights? It is really difficult to see anything too down under blue lights.
Jay
Thanks so much for your help but the little guy was at the bottom of the tank when I woke up this morning. I figured he was too far gone to be helped anyway.

AS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Back