Niger Trigger in a reef tank?

petcellar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know.... it sounds like an oxymoron.

I had a Fish Only tank that sprung a leak and failed. I'm replacing it with a Red Sea G2 900, but was thinking as setting it up as a mixed reef.

I've got an Emperor Angelfish and a Niger Trigger from the failed tank. My local fish store helped me out and is baby sitting them while I get a new system up and running.

The Niger trigger is about 5 inches long or so and really has behaved well and gotten along with his tankmates.

The angelfish is a little bigger.

I know Nigers can do a little better in reef tanks than some of the other triggers, but I'm afraid that he will get more destructive as he grows.... and then if I needed to remove him would have to almost dismantle the tank to catch him.

Would any of you put either of these fish in a mixed reef?

Beautiful fish... hate to see them go, but probably better to find new homes for them than run into trouble....

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say maybe on the angel... but if he gets too hungry be prepared to lose some frags, As for the niger trigger i would say no unfortunately.

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Niger in a lps softy tank without any issues for about a year. I currently have one in a 180 with some soft corals for 2 years and no issues there. If I were to try it with one it would be a Niger but knowing it’s a gamble

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say if you do really love these two fish because they are beauties you can take a chance and gamble! You never know, but you might lose money on the coral if it doesnt work out!

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

1000004328.jpg
1000005415.jpg
1000005413.jpg

Jello!
My Niger is my favorite fish. Jello is almost 4 years old, housed in my 110 currently.
He will move frags/plugs and small (tennis ball size and smaller) rocks with ease, so make sure things are glued down.
He will charge hands that get too close to his den, but when he's hungry he will zoom around the surface like a puppy and I can pet him (sort of :face-with-tears-of-joy:)
My tank is on the small side for him, but I'll get rid of (almost) all my other fish before I say goodbye to this fish.
*yes, he will get a larger tank eventually*

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had juvenile emperors and niger triggerfish in my reef tank. I would have no concerns with the niger with corals. He may go after inverts. My personal experience with emperors is that they generally left all my corals alone except for zoas, but they can certainly go after other corals. I fed heavy so that may have avoided some coral nipping from the emperors.

Ive found that most "reef safe with caution" or "not reef safe" fish are labeled that because they eat inverts, not because they eat coral.

How big is your reef tank?

OP
OP
petcellar

petcellar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had juvenile emperors and niger triggerfish in my reef tank. I would have no concerns with the niger with corals. He may go after inverts. My personal experience with emperors is that they generally left all my corals alone except for zoas, but they can certainly go after other corals. I fed heavy so that may have avoided some coral nipping from the emperors.

Ive found that most "reef safe with caution" or "not reef safe" fish are labeled that because they eat inverts, not because they eat coral.

How big is your reef tank?
About 200 gallons in the display portion.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I know Nigers can do a little better in reef tanks than some of the other triggers, but I'm afraid that he will get more destructive as he grows.... and then if I needed to remove him would have to almost dismantle the tank to catch him.
From my personal experience, catching him will likely not be a problem if you need to rehome him eventually.
I took a Falco hawkfish out of that tank, and the trigger was in and out of the trap more than anyone, even though he barely fit.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a Fish Only tank that sprung a leak and failed. I'm replacing it with a Red Sea G2 900, but was thinking as setting it up as a mixed reef.

I've got an Emperor Angelfish and a Niger Trigger from the failed tank. My local fish store helped me out and is baby sitting them while I get a new system up and running.

The Niger trigger is about 5 inches long or so and really has behaved well and gotten along with his tankmates.

Beautiful fish... hate to see them go, but probably better to find new homes for them than run into trouble....
My niger never messed with corals… he did throw sand ALL OVER though. And threw hermits…

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I pulled mine from the reef and gave him a fish only. Way to messy for my tank. Always moving sand

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back