Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32 gallon Fiji Cube has been up and running for about 6 weeks, cycle has been finished for around 2. I've got a Benghai Cardinal and a clown as well as some corals. My nitrates are sitting around 10, but my Phosphate is still 0 according to my salifert test. I've been trying to feed pretty conservatively to avoid excess nutrients, but should I increase that to get my phosphate at least detectable?

Top Shelf Aquatics

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd recommend getting a hannah phosphate checker. I find them much more accurate than other brands.

As for your tank having p04, if you started with dry rock....I'd say it does have p04 and the rocks and sand are just sucking it up.

There will be a point and time when your rocks starts to release the p04 back into your tank. That's when you will need to have a plan on how to remove the excess nutrients.

OP
OP
P

professorquacker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend getting a hannah phosphate checker. I find them much more accurate than other brands.

As for your tank having p04, if you started with dry rock....I'd say it does have p04 and the rocks and sand are just sucking it up.

There will be a point and time when your rocks starts to release the p04 back into your tank. That's when you will need to have a plan on how to remove the excess nutrients.
planning on getting Hannahs for all the main tests eventually, just working my way down the 'to buy' list lol.

I have started with all dry marco rock, so thats good to know. I do have filter socks I'm changing every 3 days and a skimmer, and I plan to start a refugium soon as well. I'm hoping thats enough for nutrient export but we'll see how it goes.

Nutramar Foods

Pachiman

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
planning on getting Hannahs for all the main tests eventually, just working my way down the 'to buy' list lol.

I have started with all dry marco rock, so thats good to know. I do have filter socks I'm changing every 3 days and a skimmer, and I plan to start a refugium soon as well. I'm hoping thats enough for nutrient export but we'll see how it goes.
Don't start a refugium if you don't have nutrient issues. Wait a couple of months before starting it otherwise the chaeto will consume the little nutrients your tank has or in case of a big swing it will just die and bring a lot of other new issues while it decomposes.

In relation to the phosphate, for my tanks I measured just to write in my tank logs but I never cared about chasing numbers or consider adding new stuff until my tanks were more established. As long as you see all corals and fish happy and not stressed and eating properly you will be fine.

Phil Steel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the refugium is not preferable right now given the low bio load. As this increase and PO4/NO3 start fluctuating on a high side, then you can look at reduction methods like the fuge.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back