Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, picked up my first coral frags for my new 180g reeftank. At my local LFS they just got of the truck a delivery of ORA coral frags. So I bought 2 zoa frags and 2 pom pom xenia. Got them home got them aclimated. This morning I noticed some clear slime coming of the zoas. Some of the polyps are open, come partial open and a few closed. Is this something I need to be concerned about? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I've enclosed picture of tank parameters and the actual zoas

Screenshot_20230211_091828_Aquarium Note.jpg 32369.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally I'd have some concern and look for something if slimming happens and I haven't done something to irritate them like moving them or a big water change. As you've just added them to your system I'd give them time to acclimate before messing with them.

Keep in mind it can take days to months and in some cases possibly years for an animal to accllimate and start growing. Playing musical chairs with animals, especially the first few weeks of adding them to a system, can do more harm than good as they try to adjust their photobiology to the new environment.

footgal

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! They are fine :) this is a normal symptom of shipping stress. Especially if you took them out of the water or did a dip (both are okay to do and even recommended to check for pests) then their natural slime coat will shed and be replaced. IME, if the polyps are open you have nothing to worry about :)

Using a turkey baster to blow some water on them/suck off the slime will help get rid of it more immediately, but if you leave them alone it will shed on its own

happy reefing!

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
Back