Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this beautiful fish in today and of course our foxface had to introduce himself as the king of the tank. No aggression, just constantly swimming by it and rubbing the butterfly with it's mouth. The butterfly kept showing its fins to it.

Since then it's been in the top corner of the tank just looking down. I'm assuming this is normal behavior while settling in for these? Hopefully it'll start to get brave and eat/move out of the corner

20230117_144245.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye... That CBB may or may not take kindly to the Longnose. Similar look and requirements. AKA possible aggression.
Try feeding a little bit. Or turn off the lights for a time.
Fingers crossed and keep us posted.

Top Shelf Aquatics

andyman

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard enough to feed a CBB without an aggressor. I would seperate the fish OR put some mirrors around to confuse it. Your CBB may not survive if this continues.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard enough to feed a CBB without an aggressor. I would seperate the fish OR put some mirrors around to confuse it. Your CBB may not survive if this continues.
The CBB is not being harassed this time, it's the yellow longnose which I figured would happen. The foxface does this to every new big addition for a day or so then is back to a model citizen

Nutramar Foods

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing it's normal for these yellows though to swim facedown with their spines ready to go out in defense? Whenever it does try to get out of the corner it seems perfectly fine.
I’ve seen this with my CBB, they will use the spines to defend themselves but they don’t attack unless threatened - similarly to foxfaces.
Your yellow long nose is a beauty, I’d love to find a Forcipiger longirostris some day but for now I’m happy with a 3 year old CBB. Fingers crossed for both your butterflies!

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little guy is getting much braver. Already out and about picking at rocks. I haven't seen it or yet, but it's definitely out of the corner.

The foxface will chase it back to the corner then get frustrated and swim off. The long nose will immediately swim around for a while and just casually goes back to the corner until the foxface leaves. I figure by the weekend the foxface will be over it. It doesn't bite at it, it just rushes it some and tries to nudge it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Got this beautiful fish in today and of course our foxface had to introduce himself as the king of the tank. No aggression, just constantly swimming by it and rubbing the butterfly with it's mouth. The butterfly kept showing its fins to it.

Since then it's been in the top corner of the tank just looking down. I'm assuming this is normal behavior while settling in for these? Hopefully it'll start to get brave and eat/move out of the corner

View attachment 2979814
behavior yes on Long nose. They then get very curious pecking into crevices and will soon join in on the feedings.
Ive had these in with Copperband in my store displays and never an issue.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I figured, the foxface has finally accepted the long nose. Now to get the little thing to eat. It's looking around the rocks but I haven't seen it take anything just yet, maybe it does when I'm not around. I got a food pouch in the mail today. Maybe that will help.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Top Shelf Aquatics

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we're good to go with this one. It's nearly out competing our young orange shoulder tang for food now. Very encouraging after 3 disappointing, and completely random, Copperband losses
Great news to hear!
Maybe now you’ve cracked the code to CBBs :)

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back