+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fellow Reefers,

I just bought a new oversized UV Sterilizer (40 Watt - Able to handle 350 Gal Systems). I wanted to oversize it becuase I plan on doing a big upgrade later down the road. Current system specs are in the signature down below. I want to run it at 1800 gph.

Question:

- Does anyone run their UV sterilizers 24/7, or for a set amount of hours during a 24 hour period?

Additional thought. If I am only able to run it at a lower flow rate (Say ~500 gph), then my thought is to "Definitely" run it for less hours within a 24 hour period to not completely sterilize the entire system creating any negative results. Exampe: only 2 or 4 hours daily.

Looking for some experienced reefer's inputs that have used UV sterilizers, but anyone is welcome to chime in. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

FishTruck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine 24/7 which helps keep the quartz sleeve clean. I just changed it after a year and there was no algae or anything on it. I prefer to use a DC variable speed pump so that I can run it at high flow for clarity, or low flow if I am paranoid and think I saw a spot on one of my fish.

My frag tanks are fed by the UV treated water, and they are loaded with pods and bristle worms who make a living just in a few pieces of live rock and clinging to the bottom of frag tiles - so, the 24/7 does not seem to diminish the desirable micro fauna in my system.

The main reason I run it is for water clarity.

OP
OP
brmreefer

brmreefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine 24/7 which helps keep the quartz sleeve clean. I just changed it after a year and there was no algae or anything on it. I prefer to use a DC variable speed pump so that I can run it at high flow for clarity, or low flow if I am paranoid and think I saw a spot on one of my fish.

My frag tanks are fed by the UV treated water, and they are loaded with pods and bristle worms who make a living just in a few pieces of live rock and clinging to the bottom of frag tiles - so, the 24/7 does not seem to diminish the desirable micro fauna in my system.

The main reason I run it is for water clarity.

When you first installed the UV, did you notice a significant difference in clarity?

I was concerned about the micro fauna population when it is finally installed. Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

Corals.com

FishTruck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you first installed the UV, did you notice a significant difference in clarity?

I was concerned about the micro fauna population when it is finally installed. Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

Yes I did, I posted pictures on my build thread of the before and after. I had a hazy whitish discoloration (bacterial bloom), which cleared nicely with the UV. I keep it running to hopefully help with parasites and dinos etc...

I should also point out that mine just runs in a parallel loop in and out of the sump, so there are lots of bypass opportunities for microfauna.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can’t give you the exact gph (because I didn’t measure), but I definitely don’t have the variable pump cranked too high. My thinking is that by running 24/7, slowly, I might get some Ich-destroying benefits as well as the algae destruction I’m really after. :)

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

GHL Advanced Technology
Back