Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im starting this hobby from the scratch. I bought a 130 gallons dp, and 50 gallons sump. And i want to get it right this time. When i fill the tank, and make sure its 1.026 salinity, and start cycling. Do you start seeding the tank pods week after week?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So im starting this hobby from the scratch. I bought a 130 gallons dp, and 50 gallons sump. And i want to get it right this time. When i fill the tank, and make sure its 1.026 salinity, and start cycling. Do you start seeding the tank pods week after week?
No, give it a couple of weeks to fully cycle first. Wait until ammonia reads 0. Then you'll see nitrites spike, and nitrates slowly rise. Once nitrites begin to go down and nitrates rise, you'll know you're close. When ammonia and nitrites read 0, you'll be done and it'll be time for a water change and to begin seeding / stocking.

World Wide Corals
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

CookieRdReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amonia cycle is step 1.
2. Add a piece of live rock (from a fish store or a friend, if from a fish store tell them what you are doing and hopefully they give you something old and established or the oldest they have soaking).
3. I would add pods maybe 2-4 weeks after amonia cycle but make sure you are feeding the tank or they will have little to nothing to eat in a very clean system.

Watch BRSTV- 5 minute guide to reef keeping series on youtube if you have not already.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back