+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!
I’m returning to the hobby after a several year break, so I’m not new, but I feel like I need to reeducate myself before starting again. In the past I ran an old fashioned Berlin setup. A 75 gal DT with 75 lbs of live rock. A 20 gal sump with a nice skimmer, a GFO/carbon reactor, dosed with 2-part. I did weekly 10% water changes, and had a lot of flow. I thought I was doing it right, but I ended up starting over twice due to an unwinnable battle with bubble algae and dinos and then finally just giving up.

So here I am several years later ready to give it another try. I’m considering using the Zeovit system and dosing Kalkwasser on maybe a 150-200 gal DT. I now have space for a dedicated equipment room, and want to get it right this time. So my question is, is zeovit a good system and what is the optimal setup look like for this system? For example I know that chaeto will die, so there’s not much use for a large refugium. Might run one anyway for additional live rock and a place to breed pods. Should I be considering some other system?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

marinesnow

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey! Welcome back fellow reefer!

I recently got back into it myself. I don't know much about Zeovit, as I did the Triton method before, but here's what I did differently this go around:

- An automatic fleece roller - to remove uneaten food and waste before it fuels algae growth
- Ozone + UV

I still run a skimmer and a refugium with chaeto. The refugium has been great for noticeably reducing nitrates from going to high. Altogether, this high export of nutrients allows me to feed corals and fish heavier, without worrying fueling unwanted algae growth.

Propane

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0287.jpeg

Corals.com

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeovit is a fine system. It is an overlay on top of an already functioning tank that has roots in berlin with a mature bacteria load and diverse ecosystem. It takes a lot of work and the results can be amazing. Zeo has it's own forum that you might consider reading through if you want to go this way.

If you want to avoid dinos as much as possible, then don't use dry/dead rock and order some real live rock - the extra money is well spent, IMO. Bubble algae can be beaten with the right consumers.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Bulk Reef Supply
Back