Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to saltwater: running 34 gallon AIO, cycled the tank for 3 weeks with dr Tim’s one and only. Got a pair of ocellaris 1 inch in length. Partameters look good expect for nitrate - slightly elevated ( May take 4 months based on the research ). Planning to have a lights off for 2 months and fish only for now. I’m looking for your recommendation on fish for the tank next month. equally how to bring down nitrate ( I do weekly water change for 20%)

8E1C84E4-EF56-4CBE-A1EA-830B50D7E261.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and hello!
It sounds like you are just getting a cycle going in the tank. While, I generally do not like having fish in the cycle time, you have them, so lets help you out.
I would suggest you get some Prime. This is in case you get some ammonia in the tank as this can damage or kill the fish. I would also just get an ammonia badge by Seachem as a precautionary measure to know if you need to dose Prime.
Now, you can add more of the bacteria in a bottle on and off if you want. Otherwise, just relax and let the tank develop.
Keep an eye on the badge. If it gets into the green, dose prime. In a cycled reef system, it should never go beyond yellow.
Keeping lights out is good as you do not want to increase the algae. That will come on its own.

So, now you can decide what you want in the tank. Are you having corals? What sorts? Anemone? Other fish? Inverts (other than coral)?

AquaCave Logo Banner

PatW

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Live Aquaria site is good to get an idea. Look for fish that are easy, reef safe, and peaceful.

There are a fair number of options: pajama cardinals, Bengai cardinals, many blennies, many gobies, fairy basslets, maybe some of the flasher or fairy wrasses.

OP
OP
J

Jsnrajah

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and hello!
It sounds like you are just getting a cycle going in the tank. While, I generally do not like having fish in the cycle time, you have them, so lets help you out.
I would suggest you get some Prime. This is in case you get some ammonia in the tank as this can damage or kill the fish. I would also just get an ammonia badge by Seachem as a precautionary measure to know if you need to dose Prime.
Now, you can add more of the bacteria in a bottle on and off if you want. Otherwise, just relax and let the tank develop.
Keep an eye on the badge. If it gets into the green, dose prime. In a cycled reef system, it should never go beyond yellow.
Keeping lights out is good as you do not want to increase the algae. That will come on its own.

So, now you can decide what you want in the tank. Are you having corals? What sorts? Anemone? Other fish? Inverts (other than coral)?
Thank you. Appreciate the guidance. I’m looking beginner fish

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
J

Jsnrajah

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Appreciate the guidance. I’m looking beginner fish
The Live Aquaria site is good to get an idea. Look for fish that are easy, reef safe, and peaceful.

There are a fair number of options: pajama cardinals, Bengai cardinals, many blennies, many gobies, fairy basslets, maybe some of the flasher or fairy wrasses.
Thank you

Nutramar Foods

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to saltwater: running 34 gallon AIO, cycled the tank for 3 weeks with dr Tim’s one and only. Got a pair of ocellaris 1 inch in length. Partameters look good expect for nitrate - slightly elevated ( May take 4 months based on the research ). Planning to have a lights off for 2 months and fish only for now. I’m looking for your recommendation on fish for the tank next month. equally how to bring down nitrate ( I do weekly water change for 20%)

View attachment 1586726

Welcome to R2R and congrats on the new startup. I'm very sure you will enjoy it. You stated the nitrates are slightly elevated, what is that valve? I have read that some tanks have a slightly elevated nitrate and the acceptable range is around 0.25ppm but not to go over 5ppm. I have not actually ever had that high of a range, but currently, at 0ppm...but I guess that will depend on who you talk/discuss to/with.

RiversideReefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a almost 2 month old tank and had high nitrates in the beginning (40-50 range). i've done 20% water changes every week, and have also added some seachem matrix and chemipure blue into the tank. few days ago my nitrate readings were at 5. give it sometime, keep up with the water changes, don't over feed, and you should see lower nitrates within a few weeks.

OP
OP
J

Jsnrajah

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a almost 2 month old tank and had high nitrates in the beginning (40-50 range). i've done 20% water changes every week, and have also added some seachem matrix and chemipure blue into the tank. few days ago my nitrate readings were at 5. give it sometime, keep up with the water changes, don't over feed, and you should see lower nitrates within a few weeks.
Thank you... ill follow your directions..

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back