+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I'm new to reefing and am building my first tank! My goal is to have soft corals, polyps, some LPS, crabs/shrimp, and a few fish.

I'm interested in hearing peoples opinions about my setup/plan!

Below is the current list of equipment I've purchased.

Tank: 20 gal AIO UNS 60a (display 24" x 11" x 14")
Lights: 30W nicrew
Heater: 75 W Jager
Water: 5 stage RODI from BRS
Substrate: Carib sea sand
Dry rock: 25 lb marco
Salt: instant ocean

I'm wondering if the lights will be strong enough or if I should buy a second nicrew. The tank is reasonably shallow but I'm not sure the spread will be wide enough.

Things left to figure out are: powerheads, filtration, and relevant testing kits.

For powerheads, I'm deciding between 1) a cheaper option (sicce), 2) a gyre (either icecap or maxspect), or 3) a vortech. Having pretty flow in a tank is important to me, so I'm willing to splurge a bit. However, it's not clear to me that with such a small tank the more powerful options will be a significant difference. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried any of these pumps in a nano tank, or if there are preferences between the icecap/maxspect gyres.

Towards filtration in the back of the aio I am debating the following: 1) a nano skimmer, 2) a nano uv sterilizer, and 3) various media, i.e. bioballs, carbon, or gfo. I'm leaning towards just keeping it simple with some ceramic balls and bags of rox carbon. Are nano skimmers, uv sterilizers, or gfo worthwhile? Am I missing any other options I should consider?

Lastly, I'm still trying to figure out what testing kits to get. I'm leaning towards going with the recommendations by BFS (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-master-test-kit-bundle-bulk-reef-supply.html).

My future plan:
1) initial tank setup
Cut up a neoprene mat to use in the aquarium for rockscaping (is this safe for fish?). I'll then fill the sand around it and cycle the tank for a month. To cycle, I bought some turbo start cycling and will add some hermit crabs to feed for a bit. My heater will go in the chamber with my return pump.

2) Stocking the tank
After cycling, I'll start adding some corals, probably polyps and LPS. I was thinking about adding tropic marins all in one feed solution as my only dosing. I was thinking of occasionally feeding the corals frozen mysis Shrimps (maybe once a week). After a month I'll add some clownfish and a goby.

3) maintenance
My maintenance plan is to do a weekly 20% water change. I also hope to brush the powerhead, stir the sand a bit, and wash the filter sponge. Monthly, I'll replace the carbon or other media that I decide on.

Let me know if this is a reasonable plan or if I'm missing anything in terms of equip, maintenance, or setup! Excited to use this forum more and post update pictures :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about that light either, two Kessil a80s would do the job.

As far as flow have one Red Sea reefwave-25 on a 29 gallon. I can only run one of the impellers. Settings 10% forward and 60% in reverse.

Before adding anything, get your setup fully cycled, then add in a pair of clowns. Then keep testing your nitrates and phosphates before moving forward with corals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about that light either, two Kessil a80s would do the job.

As far as flow have one Red Sea reefwave-25 on a 29 gallon. I can only run one of the impellers. Settings 10% forward and 60% in reverse.

Before adding anything, get your setup fully cycled, then add in a pair of clowns. Then keep testing your nitrates and phosphates before moving forward with corals.
I returned the lights and went with a 100W nicrew that has better spread. Pretty reasonably priced and I'm sure is overkill for my system. I think I'll just turn them down to like 30% or so.

Good to know about the reefwave. Is the 1 propeller still too strong for the tank or does it work well? What are the dims on the 29?

Upvote 0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I returned the lights and went with a 100W nicrew that has better spread. Pretty reasonably priced and I'm sure is overkill for my system. I think I'll just turn them down to like 30% or so.

Good to know about the reefwave. Is the 1 propeller still too strong for the tank or does it work well? What are the dims on the 29?
It is 18” x 18” x 18” with a sump.

Using one side of the RF-25 is working, but the forward direction runs to it’s lowest setting for the corals that are in that nano. If it was a full blown sps reef, then I’d up the forward flow, and or run both sides.

Already had the RF-25, but feel like the below Tunze would be a better option

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Gluemasters - your best choice for CA super glue
Back