Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm new here on r2r. I've been in the fish keeping hobby for a few years now. Most of that time was spent caring for planted freshwater aquariums however, the last couple years I've become more interested in saltwater aquariums. I currently have a 20 gallon reef aquarium with one ocellaris clownfish which I've been able to keep alive for the past 2 years but I've had little success at growing my corals out. I'm able to keep all the soft corals I've gotten alive and some lps corals aswell. I'm not sure what the issue is in my reef tank as all the corals I've had either stay the same size or die off overtime. I'm looking forward to use this site to gain more knowledge about the reefing hobby.

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
welcome33.gif

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm new here on r2r. I've been in the fish keeping hobby for a few years now. Most of that time was spent caring for planted freshwater aquariums however, the last couple years I've become more interested in saltwater aquariums. I currently have a 20 gallon reef aquarium with one ocellaris clownfish which I've been able to keep alive for the past 2 years but I've had little success at growing my corals out. I'm able to keep all the soft corals I've gotten alive and some lps corals aswell. I'm not sure what the issue is in my reef tank as all the corals I've had either stay the same size or die off overtime. I'm looking forward to use this site to gain more knowledge about the reefing hobby.
Welcome MaxSc,
Stable params, let us know how we can help.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
MaxSc

MaxSc

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome MaxSc,
Stable params, let us know how we can help.
I appreciate the welcomes from everyone! I agree it’s probably my water perimeters that are off. I used to test my water frequently when I first started my saltwater tank with salifert test kits but I ended up not using them anymore. What perimeters do you think I should test and how often do you test your water?

Nutramar Foods

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the welcomes from everyone! I agree it’s probably my water perimeters that are off. I used to test my water frequently when I first started my saltwater tank with salifert test kits but I ended up not using them anymore. What perimeters do you think I should test and how often do you test your water?
Tanks been running a few years, triton method. Alk and po4 test weekly, calcium monthly. Icp every 3 or 4 months.
What should you test? Like you said, i tested most weekly for a while until things flattened out.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to r2r
You have come to the right place to help keeping corals alive . When you get settled , create a post with pictures of your reef preferably with white lights . Water parameters along with listing maintenance schedules

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
MaxSc

MaxSc

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to r2r
You have come to the right place to help keeping corals alive . When you get settled , create a post with pictures of your reef preferably with white lights . Water parameters along with listing maintenance schedules
Thank you, will do!

AquaCave Logo Banner

paragrouper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to the party.

do some searching on the forum. There are quite a few rather instructive threads on what and when to test—depending on your tank and what you have in it.

I would offer offer my sage advice, but I’m kind of new (and learning) myself.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back