Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added Nem yesterday. Tanks been running for about 6 months. 2 Clowns and typical CUC. 29g with 2 AI Prime 16HD's including a Blade. HOB refugium/skimmer and single powerhead. Just want to make sure he's doing okay or if there's anything I should to do help him. I understand to let them be and they'll find a spot, just curious and insights would be great. Let me know if you need params. Gist of it is all params are good, 0 amm/nitrites, 10 or so nitrates. 1.025 salinity. 78 temp. .08 phos. I can check the others if need. Thanks in advance!
IMG_0829.jpg
IMG_0845.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Quietman

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks ok...it'll move around a bit at first or when it feels the need. When eating or just because it may occasionally retract and look inside out...normal. Tips may extend or not - again, normal. Your tank parameters are good and sufficient lighting so just let it settle in over the next few weeks. If you see some behavior that concerns you lasting a couple days, grab a pic and get back on here.

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks weak, or just new.
Current brings food to the table,
Light feeds their symbionts
And they like to have a solid footing with a place to retreat.

If the clowns get involved they will , or can encourage the nem to settle down in one spot.

Never target feed, let them catch drift like the wild. Tiny meals are easier, safer to digest.

If it opens up fully at that spot, target feed a pea sized chunk of fresh seafood, once to make it think it is in a good place to catch food.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
S

Striket85

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks weak, or just new.
Current brings food to the table,
Light feeds their symbionts
And they like to have a solid footing with a place to retreat.

If the clowns get involved they will , or can encourage the nem to settle down in one spot.

Never target feed, let them catch drift like the wild. Tiny meals are easier, safer to digest.

If it opens up fully at that spot, target feed a pea sized chunk of fresh seafood, once to make it think it is in a good place to catch food.
Awesome, thank you for the advice. I was only concerned that it was on the sand and such as from what I believe, they are supposed to attach to a rock, so I assume it's just looking for a nice place. I'm also replaced the powerhead in a few days with a gyro to provide better flow in the tank. I'll just make sure it doesn't make it's way to my current powerhead.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Added Nem yesterday. Tanks been running for about 6 months. 2 Clowns and typical CUC. 29g with 2 AI Prime 16HD's including a Blade. HOB refugium/skimmer and single powerhead. Just want to make sure he's doing okay or if there's anything I should to do help him. I understand to let them be and they'll find a spot, just curious and insights would be great. Let me know if you need params. Gist of it is all params are good, 0 amm/nitrites, 10 or so nitrates. 1.025 salinity. 78 temp. .08 phos. I can check the others if need. Thanks in advance!View attachment 3042970View attachment 3042971
Monitor water regularly to assure there are no major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be safe verified by using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temp: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Alk: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Salinity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < 5 -10
  • Phosphate < .04 - .08
Most anemones will move around the tank until they find a happy spot in the tank to call home. If anemone starts to move , simply direct your flow from it. Anemone lighting is an important part of their care as they need good light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce their energy source and growth. Energy source is the zooxanthellae in their body which they feed on. Without proper lighting, it will expel the zooxanthellae which many think is poop and turn white which is bleaching and often can lead to death. Too little light and it will climb towards light.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended as well as moderate light. Too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy and hide. Too little flow and they climb often ending up in the power head. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing flow at the anemone which stresses them.
Assure your light is moderate and flow is not excessive in your case

OP
OP
S

Striket85

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor water regularly to assure there are no major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be safe verified by using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temp: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Alk: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Salinity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < 5 -10
  • Phosphate < .04 - .08
Most anemones will move around the tank until they find a happy spot in the tank to call home. If anemone starts to move , simply direct your flow from it. Anemone lighting is an important part of their care as they need good light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce their energy source and growth. Energy source is the zooxanthellae in their body which they feed on. Without proper lighting, it will expel the zooxanthellae which many think is poop and turn white which is bleaching and often can lead to death. Too little light and it will climb towards light.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended as well as moderate light. Too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy and hide. Too little flow and they climb often ending up in the power head. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing flow at the anemone which stresses them.
Assure your light is moderate and flow is not excessive in your case
Awesome, thank you for that knowledge! I just tested my phosphate and it's a bit higher than expected, .14 using the Hanna ULR. Everything else is within your listed params. From what I've read, it's best to leave my phosphate at it's level versus trying to lower it, would you agree? And if you feel like I should lower it, best way to do it?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Awesome, thank you for that knowledge! I just tested my phosphate and it's a bit higher than expected, .14 using the Hanna ULR. Everything else is within your listed params. From what I've read, it's best to leave my phosphate at it's level versus trying to lower it, would you agree? And if you feel like I should lower it, best way to do it?
I would safely lower it. Safe = Add a pouch of chemipure blue to your sump. It will lower po4 and keep it in check. It will also remove any toxins if present and polish your water.

OP
OP
S

Striket85

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image0 (1).jpeg

Update: Added some Chemipure blue. The nem hasn't moved since this morning and is basically just chilling here. Continue to just ignore/monitor him or should I try to reposition him at all?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you have a 24 hour (or so) guarantee...with what you've communicated, I'm not seeing a reason on your end for that. Assuming you did a good acclimation I can see a slow degradation much more than that rapid of death. Sorry for loss...the money and time investment we spend on livestock can really impact us.

OP
OP
S

Striket85

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you have a 24 hour (or so) guarantee...with what you've communicated, I'm not seeing a reason on your end for that. Assuming you did a good acclimation I can see a slow degradation much more than that rapid of death. Sorry for loss...the money and time investment we spend on livestock can really impact us.
I reached out to the LFS via text/messenger so we'll see. He looked healthy at the store and right after I put him into the tank and then I got concerned once he moved off the rock and looked to be upside down but I didn't want to stress it out more so I didn't touch it. I'm doing a 35% water change now and I'm going to see what parameters the store will test for and have them test as well. I tested phos with hanna and the rest with salifert testers. As far as acclimation goes, I let him float in my tank for 30 mins and slowly added half a cup of my tank water to the bag over the course of an addition 30 minutes. Confirmed that the temp and salinity was slowly matched and then released him into the tank.

OP
OP
S

Striket85

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I turned the lights down about 40% initially and upped them about 15% each day. Of course it didn't make it past day 2 so idk if that had any effect or not.

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back