Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon. I am fairly new to reef keeping and very new to corals.

I will be getting a Blue Bruce Carlson Hammer, a Green Candycane and a Blue Cristata torch soon.

I had a few questions about care.
1. I have a API test kit to track high pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. What other paremeters should I track? Any kits you recommend?
2. Do you feed these corals or are they OK with photosynthesis and eating from the water column? If you feed, do you feed them the same foods?
3. I have Blue Ocean RX dip, to dip them before adding them to my reef. There are a lot of dips out there and it seems like many of them do different things. Is this enough or should I be doing additional dips prior to adding them to QT?

Thanks in advance!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. I recommend replacing your current tests with salifert, red sea or hanna.

Hard to tell how the corals will do. Generally brand new tanks don't fare well with coral. Rest is proper lighting, parameters, and stability.

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Good afternoon. I am fairly new to reef keeping and very new to corals.

I will be getting a Blue Bruce Carlson Hammer, a Green Candycane and a Blue Cristata torch soon.

I had a few questions about care.
1. I have a API test kit to track high pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. What other paremeters should I track? Any kits you recommend?
2. Do you feed these corals or are they OK with photosynthesis and eating from the water column? If you feed, do you feed them the same foods?
3. I have Blue Ocean RX dip, to dip them before adding them to my reef. There are a lot of dips out there and it seems like many of them do different things. Is this enough or should I be doing additional dips prior to adding them to QT?

Thanks in advance!
Introduce at Very low light and slowly ramp up. On the euphyllia, you have two requirement scenarios. Hammer likes and best with moderate light and subtle to moderate flow as does the candy cane but torch likes medium light and water flow
Locate hammer and candy cane at lower half of tank and torch at upper half where it gets its flow needs. You want to avoid hammer bouncing around so vigorously or bent over the skeleton as the polyps can tear off the skeleton
They both have skeletal bases and require calcium no less than 380 and Api is known for false readings and would not be a good choice for managing coral and best are Hanna or salifert. Torch and candy cane benefit with feeding such as mysis shrimp 2-2X per week
Dip is fine but be sure to rinse in small container of tank water before placing into display

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Back