Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 80 gallon tank, 30 gallon sump (110 total volume) with rock I cycled for 3-4 months. I'm struggling to keep ALK stable, it drops .75dkh everyday. There are NO corals in the tank yet, just a couple of clownfish. I was dosing 25-50ml of BRS 2-part via dosing pump to help keep ALK stable but it kept dropping. I tried dosing 900ml of kalkwasser each day but that didn't work either.

I've stopped dosing everything and want to wash the tank for 48 hours to see if it settles out.

What would cause ALK to drop so quickly without coral? CO2 in the house?

I have a skimmer running 24/7.

No chaeto yet, tank is too young. that would help stabilize ph.

ALK - 7.52
CA - 383
MG - 1322
PH ranges from 8.15 - 7.93 (spikes when dosing then suddenly drops.)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rising nitrate will deplete alkalinity. So will abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate on pumps and heaters, and in a new tank, often on the new sand, where the calcium carbonate surfaces act as seed crystals for precipitation.

OP
OP
DeepSea75

DeepSea75

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rising nitrate will deplete alkalinity. So will abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate on pumps and heaters, and in a new tank, often on the new sand, where the calcium carbonate surfaces act as seed crystals for precipitation.
Thanks Randy. Any recommendations? should I hold off on dosing anything? Dose ALK minimally?

OP
OP
DeepSea75

DeepSea75

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check to see if the sand might be hardening anywhere, especially near where you add the kalkwasser.
minimal sand clumping throughout the tank, just a very small area where the return nozzle blows in the tank. I dose in a sump chamber before the return pump. I ordered a small Sicce pump to get high flow in this chamber to reduce precipitation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
minimal sand clumping throughout the tank, just a very small area where the return nozzle blows in the tank. I dose in a sump chamber before the return pump. I ordered a small Sicce pump to get high flow in this chamber to reduce precipitation.

OK, then there's probably no issue with the dosing, but I'd keep an eye on the sand. new sand clumping is a common problem It happened in my tank years ago.

OP
OP
DeepSea75

DeepSea75

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, then there's probably no issue with the dosing, but I'd keep an eye on the sand. new sand clumping is a common problem It happened in my tank years ago.
It also helps to recalibrate the trident. It was new and I calibrated it after a week of use but recalibrated it this afternoon. My alk readings are a full Dkh higher. I’ll double check with my Hannah checker. Thanks for the help Randy.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ecotech Marine
Back