Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased a Powder Brown Tang. He was swimming around and nibbling on some nori the first day. I’ve had him for 3 days and he is not eating at all and is sitting close to the bottom not doing too much. I know it’s common for these fish to need time to get adjusted. Other than that he looks healthy, the LFS said that he was a pig and always ate plentiful. Is he still just simply adjusting? He seems a bit shy and spooked, I will go near the tank and he will go hide or swim away.

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10
Ph 8.2
Temp: 78

AS

TurboTang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding after only 3 days not uncommon, but PBT laying on bottom is not good.
What size tank, how long has it been set up, and what other fish?
Also very important what is your salinity and did it compare to LFS?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tanglover1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased a Powder Brown Tang. He was swimming around and nibbling on some nori the first day. I’ve had him for 3 days and he is not eating at all and is sitting close to the bottom not doing too much. I know it’s common for these fish to need time to get adjusted. Other than that he looks healthy, the LFS said that he was a pig and always ate plentiful. Is he still just simply adjusting? He seems a bit shy and spooked, I will go near the tank and he will go hide or swim away.

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10
Ph 8.2
Temp: 78
I would try mysis shrimp. What is the tank size? What other fish u hv? U hv to try mixing meaty and veg food and see what it wants. In beginning they r challenging. Also u can leave lights off so that it might get stress as they r beautiful fish but gets afraid/stress quickly. After some time when it adjust, it will come after u but for that it will need time to recognize u. Tank size and tank mates will play a big role

Top Shelf Aquatics
Avast
OP
OP
R

reefkeeper369

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try mysis shrimp. What is the tank size? What other fish u hv? U hv to try mixing meaty and veg food and see what it wants. In beginning they r challenging. Also u can leave lights off so that it might get stress as they r beautiful fish but gets afraid/stress quickly. After some time when it adjust, it will come after u but for that it will need time to recognize u. Tank size and tank mates will play a big role
No interest in the mysis shrimp. No interest in the nori. Tank mates are 2 clownfish, a very small juvenile semicircle angelfish, and a mandarin with a fire shrimp. She definitely seems like a wimp, I know that is common with tangs to be skiddishespecially at first. It’s the 4th day of lounging around and no eating

Tanglover1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No interest in the mysis shrimp. No interest in the nori. Tank mates are 2 clownfish, a very small juvenile semicircle angelfish, and a mandarin with a fire shrimp. She definitely seems like a wimp, I know that is common with tangs to be skiddishespecially at first. It’s the 4th day of lounging around and no eating
Is the tang small? Also what is the size of the tank

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tanglover1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gallons, I would say maybe 4 inches
Tank is small. Still give it some time as I think they need min. 120 g . If it is small in size,it will take time to get settle. Just keep a close eye on it if u see anything wrong, inform us

OP
OP
R

reefkeeper369

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tang small? Also what is the size of the tank
3FC78D8C-EA36-4D58-ABC9-E18CFB6B25D0.jpeg

CLICK TO VIEW

TurboTang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish - hope it settles in soon.
I have a tang now that will only eat Rods frozen and hikari spirulina wafers and nori. Turns away from everything else. Absolutely loves the wafers though. You might just have to try more foods to find something it can't resist. It has a healthy weight at least, so you have some time to figure it out

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
R

reefkeeper369

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish - hope it settles in soon.
I have a tang now that will only eat Rods frozen and hikari spirulina wafers and nori. Turns away from everything else. Absolutely loves the wafers though. You might just have to try more foods to find something it can't resist. It has a healthy weight at least, so you have some time to figure it out
Seems very strong. Great looking fish. She was nibbling on the nori the first day so just kind of odd to have done that then act skiddish instead of the other way around but I hope she starts coming around shortly

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back