Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, so my wife decided we should go into business selling coral, and talked me into getting a new tank.

While I'm pretty sure we aren't the next Mr. and Mrs. Jason Fox, it wasn't hard to talk me into getting something new.

I picked up a 30 gallon Oceanic cube which came with a 175w Metal Halide light system with two compact fluerescents...yadda yadda. Old school, but for growing out frags I don't see how you can go wrong with a mh light.

The tank isn't drilled, so I started to research options. I almost pulled the trigger on a Marine Modular (Modular Marine?) overflow box and the plumbing to go with it. But didn't, because I'm pretty poor...ha. And that would have been 3x the cost of the tank on an overflow box.

Then, after considering a DIY over the top PVC, I totally switched directions and am purchasing a small frag tank from a member here (he's not my dad ;)). So, it'll be a small 11 gallon acrylic frag tank (18x18x8, which has a built in overflow setup, which I will use as the 'upper display', and then the Oceanic Cube will be my 'sump'.

But, I'm thinking of making the sump a second display. Full of life, live rock, sand, critters, etc. Probably won't bother with a skimmer or anything, as I might not even do fish...or if i do, it will be a very small fish or two.

So, the plan as it sits is this:

18 gallon with single drilled overflow and single return. Tank will have frag rack. Not sure if i want frag rack, or just do one big (flatish) rock. Plan is SPS only.

Below will be 30 gallon cube, water coming in the corner (maybe thru a sock?) and then a nice sand bed, 30-40 lbs of live rock, maybe some macro algae if there is room.

All this in a homebrewed stand.

Equipment:

175 MH light for top tank
Not sure of light for the bottom. Might surf the sites for a good deal on a LED for the bottom so I can add macro or nems or who knows.

Sicce 1.5 or like return pump
Undecided powerhead for the bottom
Undecided powerhead for top, but leaning towards the Hygger mini, as I love it on my Evo.

Anyway...thats my plan so far!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Subliminal

Subliminal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question...so I want to use this bottom tank as a display of sorts...maybe a deep sand bed, rock, etc. But it also needs to house my return pump. Any ideas on the best way to set that up? Some kind of box around the pump? Baffles? Just sit it on the sand? External pump plumbed into the box?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral-vault.com
Back