+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

My uncle is getting out of the Fresh water Hobby, he currently has a 150g glass tank that he is giving me so I'm going to convert it into a new reef tank, 4 of my tanks have been running with a HOB filter oldest of the HOB being 6 years old and going strong (ORIGINAL TETRA FILTER) my question is how far from the TV can I have it? the only available spot left in my house (because I have an aquarium problem) is directly under the TV, Ideally if it doesn't ruin the TV the tank would sit 3-4 ft bellow it. I have egg crate covers on all of my tanks as I have "Jumpers" would a glass cover protect my TV or can I stick to the egg crate or is it just a bad idea all together?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of having a reef tank is having the reef light, where would the light be placed if you place your tank under the tv?

This hobby is a lot more hands-on than freshwater tanks, I imagine it would not be fun to do maintenance and testing and cleaning under the tv, in probably a tight space.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Ralph823

Ralph823

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it sits 3-4 feet below the tv, that means it’s going to be very low on the floor ?

I would worry how practical this is going to be more than ruining the tv. Also, can the room handle all the additional humidity ?
ceilings are 12 feet so tank brim would probably sit around 4-5 feet, tanks are scattered around the house, this room would only have this tank and a 29 gallon clownfish tank in the kitchen. the room itself includes Kitchen and family room and is around 900 sqft so I'm not too worried about over doing the humidity.

OP
OP
Ralph823

Ralph823

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of having a reef tank is having the reef light, where would the light be placed if you place your tank under the tv?

This hobby is a lot more hands-on than freshwater tanks, I imagine it would not be fun to do maintenance and testing and cleaning under the tv, in probably a tight space.
Yes I have quite a few tanks with good lighting but this tank is going to be for low to moderate light reef tank because of space issues, I'm going to use a full spectrum coral light and I'm probably only going to have softies in the tank, with some schooling Fish, I have 2 of these Lights on my other 150 and par at 12 inches deep at the center is around 230 so it saves me some space, I have 3 BTAs in that tank that all started from the same specimen plus some corals which have been growing well over the years so lighting isnt that big of an issue. is it inconvenient? yes because i have to take it off every time i want to remove the lid but it gets the job done.

1683209854715.png

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Diaper
Back