New Set Up Yet Questions after done setting up

AverageSnowPair10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I’m new here and glad to be part of the reef2reef community!

I have 2 years of reef keeping experience. However, I never kept corals. I have only kept anemones throughout my experience. Been successful for some time until some anemone splits end up deformed and end up crashing my tank.

Anyways, I want to set up a new 25 gallon “lagoon” from innovative Marine. I currently have a 40 gallon fish tank but since it had crashed, I decided to just switch to a easier tank almost half its size. I plan on keeping my 40 gallon fish tank as a quarantine tank in the future.

Every Material or items that I have for the Innovative Marine 25 gallon lagoon:
- Viparspectra165watt
- 150Watt Heater
- 2 SICCE voyager nano power heads (1000 & 2000)
- catty basket filter

With that said, I also want to switch salt brands from Instant Ocean Reef Crystals to Tropic Marine Pro-Reef and keep corals in my fish tank, yet I’ll need to go through lots of patience after I mix the new salt and pour it into the tank.

First question is, how long should I wait before adding corals into my first fish tank?

Now since im new to corals, I would love to keep SPS Corals in my 25 Lagoon reef tank. I’m still researching about coral acclimation into a new tank.

Although the corals that I want in my tank in the future are:
- Pulsing Xenia
- Anacropora
- Green Star Polyps

I don’t know much about Coral Aggression, but I will be very aware of what corals would be compatible with each other and other fish.

My Second Question is, are there diseases or parasites that corals can catch? If so, what diseases or parasites can they catch.

With everything said, I would love to know everyones experience‘s with their SPS, LPS, and NPS tanks or corals that they have owned or currently have in their tanks!

timmyrules

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! :) when I started my tank a while back, I added fish and coral at the same time…which was at about the 4 month point. All the fish and corals are doing great! Green star polyps and pulsing Xenia are both super hardy…not sure about the other one you listed. When you first get the coral, there is coral dips you can use to make sure there isn’t any pests that get in your DT tank. I’ve personally never have a problem with pests, and I don’t dips or QT my corals. If you aren’t sure where to get coral, I HIGHLY recommend Sbbcorals!!!

OP
OP
AverageSnowPair10

AverageSnowPair10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! :) when I started my tank a while back, I added fish and coral at the same time…which was at about the 4 month point. All the fish and corals are doing great! Green star polyps and pulsing Xenia are both super hardy…not sure about the other one you listed. When you first get the coral, there is coral dips you can use to make sure there isn’t any pests that get in your DT tank. I’ve personally never have a problem with pests, and I don’t dips or QT my corals. If you aren’t sure where to get coral, I HIGHLY recommend Sbbcorals!!!
Anacropora comes from the same family as the Acropora! Yet they both have slight differences. I have a local aquatic store very nearby and I’ve checked it out and they have so many happy and healthy looking Anemones and corals! Thanks for your response!

timmyrules

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok!!! That’s cool! I’ve never heard of anacropora before! Oh! A type of SPS that is super hardy is montipora! I have fruity pebble montipora, and it is beautiful and hardy!

OP
OP
AverageSnowPair10

AverageSnowPair10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok!!! That’s cool! I’ve never heard of anacropora before! Oh! A type of SPS that is super hardy is montipora! I have fruity pebble montipora, and it is beautiful and hardy!
Im curious how montiporas grow and spread onto the aquascape! Since anemones walk to their spots. howeverr, how do montiporas spread? I do know that they can bend upward to get light that they need, but if they’re fragged and placed on a rock, do they just grow out and spread like green star polyps but slower? Sounds cool though!

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious how montiporas grow and spread onto the aquascape! Since anemones walk to their spots. howeverr, how do montiporas spread? I do know that they can bend upward to get light that they need, but if they’re fragged and placed on a rock, do they just grow out and spread like green star polyps but slower? Sounds cool though!
It depends on the type of montipora. Some of them will encrust and then grow out, some just encrust, I think there might be a branching type, and maybe a cupping type as well.

timmyrules

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my fruity pebble monit, it’s just a tiny frag right now..

Attachments

• IMG_7303.jpeg
    IMG_7303.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
AverageSnowPair10

AverageSnowPair10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the type of montipora. Some of them will encrust and then grow out, some just encrust, I think there might be a branching type, and maybe a cupping type as well.
Montipora’s get their nutrients from lighting right? Because they are not fed with anything if im right except zooplankton or nutrients in the tank.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back