+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello dudes and dudettes,

I am lucky enough to have come across a 110 gallon tank and it will be my first drilled tank.

One thing I have noticed in hard plumbing is how much more BRS and others are charging for their ball valves and unions when comparing to brands like Hydroseal or Lifeguard. Are there any brands for Ball, Union, Gate and Anti Siphon that are more budget friendly? If not I will pay the premium.

TLDR;

I would love to hear what fittings you are using and why? How long would be very valuable information as well. Older the better

Top Shelf Aquatics

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BigWillStyle welcome to the group! Long story short the general consensus is to use quality valves (not the ones you might find at big box stores) since they are easier to adjust and tend to work better. Personally, I’m a fan of the Cepex ball valves because they have unions built right in so it’s two less pieces to add to the plumbing. I’ve had them for about three years now — so far so good!

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BigWillStyle welcome to the group! Long story short the general consensus is to use quality valves (not the ones you might find at big box stores) since they are easier to adjust and tend to work better. Personally, I’m a fan of the Cepex ball valves because they have unions built right in so it’s two less pieces to add to the plumbing. I’ve had them for about three years now — so far so good!
Thats a good track record. I always seem to move, shuffle or upgrade tanks faster then that! haha I noticed they are serviceable which is another advantage. Thanks for the warm welcome and feedback

reef_ranch

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cheap home depot ball valves on my mixing station. Meh. Had to replace one after a couple of years. I have 10-20 cepex true union ball valves of different sizes on my display and sump. They are not perfect, a few have leaked at the union, but they are serviceable and none of them has ever bound up. Glad I bit the bullet and paid the premium. I did shop around and found them cheaper than at BRS.

As for unions, the schedule 80 ones at Lowes are very good at a decent price point.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ultimate Corals
Back