New office + New tank + Overflow or Canister? Sumpper

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there since I came back to reefing after my stint in the 80s I have only ever run a sump or AIO. I got a promotion and will be getting a bigger office and therefore I will have more space than my IM 20 AIO. I was thinking of setting up a 50-60 gallon however locally I cannot find a single place to buy one that is drillable. All my LFS sell are Aqueon which I heard to cut costs they are all non-drillable at the size I want. So I am considering a HOB overflow or even a canister. Looking for recommendations for this. I had a OASE canister on my 65 gallon freshwater it had built in heater but I love a sump so that is why I was considering HOB overflow but hear horror stories + nearly $200 for an acrylic box and 2 tubes seems a tad on the OM*G scale.

Pass along what has worked for you and I will look the products up.

Thanks!

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro...come on...you just got promoted...whats $200....LOL. Just J/k and congrats.
IMO, you cant go wrong with the canister.....walk away from it on the weekend and dont even have to worry about it.....and use that OASE

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI.....I running three FX6's on this one....(yes overkill)...disregard the red square
IMG_1980 ver2.jpg

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro...come on...you just got promoted...whats $200....LOL. Just J/k and congrats.
IMO, you cant go wrong with the canister.....walk away from it on the weekend and dont even have to worry about it.....and use that OASE
Good point canisters are pretty fire and forget. You recommend OASE? My last one was a tad noisy. Also what will I do for skimming & UV? I’d prefer to keep using those. I’d not really like too much ugly stuff on back. Maybe I’ll look at another AIO.
Just FYI.....I running three FX6's on this one....(yes overkill)...disregard the red square
IMG_1980 ver2.jpg
I can’t look away!

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV you can in-line with the canister..I only said OASE as I guess you have that laying around....(you can also get a canister that has UV and Heater built in)
however skimmer....gonna have to be HOB also....good luck with whatever you decide....

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV you can in-line with the canister..I only said OASE as I guess you have that laying around....(you can also get a canister that has UV and Heater built in)
however skimmer....gonna have to be HOB also....good luck with whatever you decide....
I sold the oase a long time ago. Thanks for the advice

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but they are so hard to buy from
Online. I wish there was an online store to order from.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back