Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found this place! My name is Dave and I'm up in Maine...planning on starting my first reef tank in the coming months.

I had originally planned on starting with an Aqueon 40B I got from a Petco sale...was preparing to drill it for a sump overflow but the LFS told me it would most likely be tempered glass, which would shatter if I tried to drill it. YouTube has all kinds of people showing how to drill 40B tanks so I was a bit confused, but I returned the 40B and they found reef ready 65 gallon on sale I could order. It's pre-drilled on the bottom, which seems like it would be better than drilling the back.

My logic is I don't want to go too terribly big for a first tank, though I often read that people tend to end up wanting bigger. They said the 65 will be the same footprint as a 40B but taller...the neighbor offered to help me build a stand which will be very helpful, just need to make sure the opening is big enough to put in an appropriate sized sump with a refugium.

There are endless discussions on tank size out there...please let me know if there's anything I'm missing with this as a starting point. Good to be aboard!

Thanks
Dave

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
welcome33.gif

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Glad I found this place! My name is Dave and I'm up in Maine...planning on starting my first reef tank in the coming months.

I had originally planned on starting with an Aqueon 40B I got from a Petco sale...was preparing to drill it for a sump overflow but the LFS told me it would most likely be tempered glass, which would shatter if I tried to drill it. YouTube has all kinds of people showing how to drill 40B tanks so I was a bit confused, but I returned the 40B and they found reef ready 65 gallon on sale I could order. It's pre-drilled on the bottom, which seems like it would be better than drilling the back.

My logic is I don't want to go too terribly big for a first tank, though I often read that people tend to end up wanting bigger. They said the 65 will be the same footprint as a 40B but taller...the neighbor offered to help me build a stand which will be very helpful, just need to make sure the opening is big enough to put in an appropriate sized sump with a refugium.

There are endless discussions on tank size out there...please let me know if there's anything I'm missing with this as a starting point. Good to be aboard!

Thanks
Dave
65g is indeed a taller 40b however may not be reef ready which is best, Take a look at Innovative Marine all in one(AIO) systems which will meet your size and budget while being maintenance friendly

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings, Dave and welcome to the reef! A 40B is a great starting size, but you are correct: once it's built, you're gonna want to go bigger. Perhaps consider a 75g.

AS
Top Shelf Aquatics

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Dave
Welcome Dave,
Im down in nh.
Bigger is better, more stable water withnmore volume.
Many tests for tempered glass, i think tempered must be etched, saying so.
If you hold a lighter or candle up to it, tempered shows 2 flames, reg glass 1.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you everybody for the warm welcome!

Is it reasonable to expect that I can build a stand that will accommodate a sump with refugium and also an ATO reservoir?
Absolutely.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back