New Frags - How Long Will They Last in Plastic Bags?

BRS

shawnriv

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up some Acropora frags from a local reefer and his alkalinity was 9.0. I just checked my current tank and I’m down to 6.8 dkh. How long is it safe to keep those frags in their bags (floating in my sump) until I raise my tank’s dkh to 9.0?

Thank you.

Corals.com

LouisianaReef

Reefing, my favorite little slice of the ocean
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although it is best practice to get them out of bags ASAP, corals are shipped all the time. They spend 12-24 hours in bags during shipping and I have seen coral in transit for 5 days and be ok. I would say you have some time. I would raise your levels are fast as you can safely though

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although it is best practice to get them out of bags ASAP, corals are shipped all the time. They spend 12-24 hours in bags during shipping and I have seen coral in transit for 5 days and be ok. I would say you have some time. I would raise your levels are fast as you can safely though

I agree. I‘ve heard the rule is never to go over 1.0 dkh in a day. I just raised it to 7.6 a moment ago. I could keep them in their bags overnight and raise the dkh to 8.4 tomorrow and would feel drip acclimating the new arrivals. Just scares me to keep them in the bag overnight.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

LouisianaReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I‘ve heard the rule is never to go over 1.0 dkh in a day. I just raised it to 7.6 a moment ago. I could keep them in their bags overnight and raise the dkh to 8.4 tomorrow and would feel drip acclimating the new arrivals. Just scares me to keep them in the bag overnight.
You can drop acclimate they very slowly. Like over several hours. That way you don’t have to leave them in bags and it don’t slow enough it shouldn’t hurt them

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can drop acclimate they very slowly. Like over several hours. That way you don’t have to leave them in bags and it don’t slow enough it shouldn’t hurt them
I’m just going to wait until tomorrow. I mean, I was going to do a long drip acclimate but they’ve only been bags for five hours so far. I feel better raising the dkh in my tank tomorrow to close to where the frags came from. They’re currently floating in my sump.

I appreciate the help! :)

LouisianaReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just going to wait until tomorrow. I mean, I was going to do a long drip acclimate but they’ve only been bags for five hours so far. I feel better raising the dkh in my tank tomorrow to close to where the frags came from. They’re currently floating in my sump.

I think you will be just fine

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Many coral experience transit in bags 48-55 hours as long as kept under normal temperatures.
Ive packed coral for people and up to 36hours was fine

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
ACC
Back