Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a relatively new kole tang (about a month) who’s a very active and fast swimmer. He likes to swim in and around the caves like a crazy maniac and he is very skittish.

He likes to hang with the banggai cardinal and that makes him come out more. So I got a pajama cardinal in the hopes it would help as well but it’s so small for now the kole has no interest.

I only want peaceful fish in the tank (there will be a couple of clowns, that’s the only exception) and a small/medium bioload. For now I have a firesfish, a kole tang and the two cardinals. The tank is 48x18x21 I think (75 gallons).

What would be a reef safe, peaceful and also beautiful or interesting fish that would slowly cruise all over the tank ?

Thanks !

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Idech

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a flasher wrasse or fairy wrasse. You could turn the fire fish into a group of three. Midas blenny. Maybe an anthias, but you would have to research as some are very difficult to keep.
My firefish is basically always in his cave, except for feedings. I didn’t know they remained peaceful in groups. I’ll look into it.

I have an interest for fairy wrasses as well.

AquaCave Logo Banner

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant beat 4-5 lyretail anthias. Great color. They arent that expensive, around 50$ USD each, but buying several can get pricey. I would buy them in person as they do not ship well.
Might be too many for a 75 gallon depending on what else he wants to add, but I agree 4 is a minimum to keep them from harassing each other too much. And a school is awesome. If he gets all female he should be able to watch one change to male.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a wrasse or 2. Something that is always out and about to make the other fish feel safe to be out and about.

Think of it this way....

On the natural reef, when one fish darts to hide, they all do. It's a defense mechanism. If most of the fish are out, the the rest that are skittish come out.

Most of your fish are skittish in nature, and therefore hide. You need something like a boisterous wrasse that will be out.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a wrasse or 2. Something that is always out and about to make the other fish feel safe to be out and about.

Think of it this way....

On the natural reef, when one fish darts to hide, they all do. It's a defense mechanism. If most of the fish are out, the the rest that are skittish come out.

Most of your fish are skittish in nature, and therefore hide. You need something like a boisterous wrasse that will be out.
Yes, that’s why I am looking for an active and bold but not aggressive fish. I used to have an allen’s damsel that did that.

I like fairy wrasses so if I happen to see one I might grab it.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back