Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s been a full 24 hours and this coral still hasn’t opened up. 2 other corals I bought yesterday did but this one seems to be struggling.
Any recommendations?

88A5B1F8-ED4A-4470-8A64-206A3F756B6E.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
Corals.com

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the store it seemed to be more wide and not so shriveled up
Yes, now that I can imagine it being a little more puffy and slightly larger at the store it is obviously due to the change in parameters. Hopefully it adjusts to yours and becomes happier.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalices are my favorite Coral’s, but it took me many years to be able to keep them. I’ve killed thousands of dollars of them before now. Mine are growing and beautiful.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
H

Hetts

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, now that I can imagine it being a little more puffy and slightly larger at the store it is obviously due to the change in parameters. Hopefully it adjusts to yours and becomes happier.
Snails and crabs have been all over it recently and just now decided to leave it alone. So that may of had some part in it

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, they are just as hard to keep as SPS due to needing very stable parameters that are ideal for them, and maybe not ideal for other corals I have found that they like lower lights and lower flow along with a little dirtier tanks with higher nutrients. My issue in the beginning was having too low of nutrients and starving the Coral to death.

BRS
OP
OP
H

Hetts

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, they are just as hard to keep as SPS due to needing very stable parameters that are ideal for them, and maybe not ideal for other corals I have found that they like lower lights and lower flow along with a little dirtier tanks with higher nutrients. My issue in the beginning was having too low of nutrients and starving the Coral to death.
Unfortunately I think I may end up like that cause my tank isn’t super mature yet. I bought some stuff to does for more calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity so hopefully that’ll help

CLICK TO VIEW

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I think I may end up like that cause my tank isn’t super mature yet. I bought some stuff to does for more calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity so hopefully that’ll help
I can already tell you that this approach only work for a small % of people or only people with lots of experience other wise 90% of others like me have to test test test till we figure out a routine of dosing and feeding and maintenance that we figured out throughout weeks If not months of testing that we stick to to keep the tank as stable as possible and then with time comes success, and by time, I do not mean a couple weeks I mean, months and months

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why again so many people like me have chosen to automate their systems with testing equipment, like trident to do these kinds of things for us because life is busy. I will tell you I can only speak for myself, but without the trident, I would not have a beautiful, successful reef because I do not have the time or the patience to do the daily testing to figure out what type of dosing to keep my alkalinity stable throughout the day. Along with Hanna nitrate and low range phosphate testers

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all this leads to my next question which you will be asked in the next couple weeks when things go south, but hopefully not which is what is your salinity exactly? What is your alkalinity? What is your calcium? What is your magnesium? What is your nitrates and phosphates?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Back