Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up two clowns on Tuesday and noticed after adding them to my tank that one had a white/pale mouth and I'm wondering if it's a cause for concern. It's eating fine and acting normal.
IMG_1244.JPG
IMG_1240(1).JPG
IMG_1239.JPG
IMG_1248.JPG

The only other thing that I noticed was during transport from the LFS the clown became pale, but it regained all color shortly after adding it to my tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Picked up two clowns on Tuesday and noticed after adding them to my tank that one had a white/pale mouth and I'm wondering if it's a cause for concern. It's eating fine and acting normal.
View attachment 3109283View attachment 3109288View attachment 3109289View attachment 3109291

The only other thing that I noticed was during transport from the LFS the clown became pale, but it regained all color shortly after adding it to my tank.
This is damage from either netting or battle with other clowns in the store tank. They have protective mucus on their body and may be the net. Keep an eye on it to assure it heals and becomes infected.
Diet supplements are not going to make this heal faster or differently. Saltwater fish heal quickly on their own

OP
OP
M

Madkix

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is damage from either netting or battle with other clowns in the store tank. They have protective mucus on their body and may be the net. Keep an eye on it to assure it heals and becomes infected.
Diet supplements are not going to make this heal faster or differently. Saltwater fish heal quickly on their own
Thanks. I'll continue to observe for now. As far as I can tell it doesn't seem bothered so fingers crossed.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3109283View attachment 3109288View attachment 3109289View attachment 3109291

Yes, those are tank raised (not a wild color pattern). Looks like a minor injury to me as well.

When I see new clownfish with one or both having jaw injuries I always worry that it is from the two fish bulldogging each other. Clowns are pretty sly - they may not be getting along, and yet, while you are watching them, they may be behaving nice. One trick is to set up a video and then leave the room. Review the video for any signs of fighting. Another thing is to just wait - if you start to see ripped.torn fins, y9ou can be pretty sure they are fighting.

If they are NOT fighting, given the time frame here, the most likely culprit is the one clown got its teeth snagged in the net when they caught it up.

Jay

OP
OP
M

Madkix

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those are tank raised (not a wild color pattern). Looks like a minor injury to me as well.

When I see new clownfish with one or both having jaw injuries I always worry that it is from the two fish bulldogging each other. Clowns are pretty sly - they may not be getting along, and yet, while you are watching them, they may be behaving nice. One trick is to set up a video and then leave the room. Review the video for any signs of fighting. Another thing is to just wait - if you start to see ripped.torn fins, y9ou can be pretty sure they are fighting.

If they are NOT fighting, given the time frame here, the most likely culprit is the one clown got its teeth snagged in the net when they caught it up.

Jay
I caught them fighting on the first night after lights out but they seem to have worked out who's in charge (the clown that I'm concerned with is noticeably larger than the other). But this was something I noticed right after adding them to the tank so you and vetteguy are probably right in your assumption of net damage or fighting with other clowns at the LFS as there were quite a few in the tank.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FnR
Back