+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

So I thought I would start a build thread. I used to have freshwater tanks as a kid, then life happened. I always wanted to get a saltwater tank and I have been doing quite a bit of research for the past year or so. On Father's Day my 3 kids surprised me with a Waterbox 20. My son and I built a custom stand which took me some time to finish. Built it a little taller than average stands to hopefully keep the cat away. We will see if it helped. Anyway, I started cycling the tank on Aug.23rd. Right now I am using the standard equipment the tank came with. I will be upgrading some things over time. So far so good. About 2 weeks in I added a snail and two hermit crabs to help with the cycling. Seeing the nitrates coming up and stabilizing between 5 and 10ppm, Phosphates are between 0 and 0.25, Salinity is 1.025. The one thing I know I need to do is take it slow and I will continue to do so. Anyway, Here are a couple of pictures of the tank stand prior to being finished and the tank right after I added the water and started the cycle. Looking forward to learning a lot from everyone on this site!

IMG_0739.jpg IMG_0737.jpg IMG_0729.jpg

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics
AS
OP
OP
Mark1

Mark1

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice aquarium you have. I like your stand as well. Any ideas what your going to keep?
I know the kids want a clown fish for sure. I will definitely do some Zoa's and Hammers/frogspawn. I like the look of some of the Ricordea and Candy Canes. That is probably where I will start and go from there.

OP
OP
Mark1

Mark1

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rockwork looks spot on, by the way. I always find cube tanks difficult to aquascape, but yours looks very balanced and natural.
Thanks Again.... I wanted to make sure I did not overload the tank with rocks. I wanted to have plenty of open space for the fish and the corals I will add.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back