Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought these 2 kinds of blue "African" zoas last week:
AfricanBlues2.jpg

AfricanBlues.jpg

Both are in different parts of my tank. I have great flow with a SeaSwirl. Not too high towards the T5s. Both have long, stretching stalks that turn brown & crusty-looking, then they fall off. I spoke to another person that bought these from the same shop & he's having the same problem with them. Everything else in our tanks are thriving. Any ideas?

Top Shelf Aquatics

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I heard from one vendor...who saw these zoos at the wholesaler...they looked doomed from the start, and most likely has nothing to do with your tank/conditions/params.

What's the story on it, Stix? I would have bought them too!

:D
Laurie

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. That's weird... I hope it wasn't a condition endemic to that area of collection- preferably trauma from shipping... Gives me the heebie jeebies when areas of thew world go downhill...

:(
Laurie

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there any rock attached to the base of the zoas or are they glued to the rock by the stalk?

All but 1 stalk were attached to rock. I glued that stalk on seperately--that was the 1st one to go.

The stalks are very long & thick. Covered in some kinda green/brown wrinkley skin, like elephant legs.

Nutramar Foods

organism

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, that was pretty much exactly what I saw at the main supplier that got these in, all of the tops of the zoos looked fine, but the stalks were brown and rotted, they had about 90 or so colonies and I couldn't find a single one that looked like it was worth anything more than $5 to see if it would survive...

if anyone sees these, definitely check the stalks beforehand, I think that what happened is that since they flew from africa, there was a much higher ammonia content in the bag that killed them off slowly, since I've seen zoos do the same thing when they're in a tank that's crashing

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AS

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gateway Aquatics is selling them for $45 per polyp. I bought a 3 polyp frag of really blue ones and 2 polyps let go of their superglue bond leaving me with 1 polyp. I hope like crazy that the surviving polyp will last and spread!

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spoke to the shop I bought these from. Says everyone that bought them is raving about how nice they are. He even took some home & they're doing great. Here are before & 1 week later pics:
AfricanBlues2.jpg

SickAfricanBlues2.jpg

AfricanBlues.jpg

SickAfricanBlues.jpg

They're almost gone... :( A friend who's a wholesaler saw them at his supplier's. They were offering him huge colonies of them for $50 to get them outta there before they all died on them.

Nutramar Foods

SaltyJeff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jeni,
(ANJHOF from RC here)Mine are still dying. I emailed Dave, but I have not heard back yet. I would say only a couple out of the 50 or so polyps that were on the rock still have a chance. The rest are shrivled up into nothing.
We'll see what he says.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back