New aquarium. What type of algae is this?

jbram88

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Had this saltwater tank running for about a month now. I’m aware I’ll probably still have an ugly phase, but just making sure this isnt the Dino algae. My phosphates are measuring 0 with api test. I do have two reactors with media along with a skimmer. One biopellets and the other seachem matrix. Maybe I shouldn’t have been running the reactors so soon? I feel like I should be measuring some phosphate level. Please advise
82174936-3A38-4FF8-956A-8CD4DD61710A.jpeg
742D8745-F38B-4018-BAF2-C9743CA245B5.jpeg 91EEB587-4244-4620-AA10-CEC89FE2DB63.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
J

jbram88

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Had this saltwater tank running for about a month now. I’m aware I’ll probably still have an ugly phase, but just making sure this isnt the Dino algae. My phosphates are measuring 0 with api test. I do have two reactors with media along with a skimmer. One biopellets and the other seachem matrix. Maybe I shouldn’t have been running the reactors so soon? I feel like I should be measuring some phosphate level. Please advise
View attachment 3130598 View attachment 3130606 View attachment 3130608
I do have livestock in now also. Regular feedings. I don’t feel like it’s an issue

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi,
View attachment 3130598 View attachment 3130606 View attachment 3130608
Appearsto be diatom which is a brown algae that typically appear in a reef tank that has just completed its cycle but they can also appear in an established reef tank. They can cover sand, rock, pumps, and glass. Diatoms look ugly but in most cases they are harmless so the key is to not panic when they appear.
Diatoms feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Unfiltered tap water can contain silicates and is a good way to jump start a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. The best way to prevent this from happening is to filter water through a RODI unit, although you can still get a diatom bloom when using RODI if the cartridge that removes silicates expires.
Diatoms are typically harmless to a captive reef and can be beaten once their food source expires. Once you put the end to the source, the outbreak should last a couple of weeks so just be patient and it will pass.
Reduce white light intensity and add some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.

OP
OP
J

jbram88

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appearsto be diatom which is a brown algae that typically appear in a reef tank that has just completed its cycle but they can also appear in an established reef tank. They can cover sand, rock, pumps, and glass. Diatoms look ugly but in most cases they are harmless so the key is to not panic when they appear.
Diatoms feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Unfiltered tap water can contain silicates and is a good way to jump start a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. The best way to prevent this from happening is to filter water through a RODI unit, although you can still get a diatom bloom when using RODI if the cartridge that removes silicates expires.
Diatoms are typically harmless to a captive reef and can be beaten once their food source expires. Once you put the end to the source, the outbreak should last a couple of weeks so just be patient and it will pass.
Reduce white light intensity and add some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.
Ok good! I do use a rodi, with new filters. I did have my white light cranked all the way up until yesterday. Put it to the lowest setting now. Was thinking of running gfo for the silicates, but since I have such low levels of phosphate because the tank is new I think I’ll wait on that.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok good! I do use a rodi, with new filters. I did have my white light cranked all the way up until yesterday. Put it to the lowest setting now. Was thinking of running gfo for the silicates, but since I have such low levels of phosphate because the tank is new I think I’ll wait on that.
Use a teaspoon max on GFO- this oxide is strong and likely not needed

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back