Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to start back up in saltwater. I'm going to be building a 120 gallon mix tank. I have the tank set up using a fluval fx6 and using under gravel filtration with it. The discharge is into three one half inch pylons that I have loofah sponges around to disperse the flow. The goal being a calm tank. So far 100% successful no visible water movement but it is cycling when I add food coloring.
my Question is how strong do I want the current to be. I'm cycling with a 462 gallon flow rate at the head. Do I need to add wave generators to create more current? I have always found too much current to be distressing to the fish

OP
OP
Jdbrusseau

Jdbrusseau

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to start back up in saltwater. I'm going to be building a 120 gallon mix tank. I have the tank set up using a fluval fx6 and using under gravel filtration with it. The discharge is into three one half inch pylons that I have loofah sponges around to disperse the flow. The goal being a calm tank. So far 100% successful no visible water movement but it is cycling when I add food coloring.
my Question is how strong do I want the current to be. I'm cycling with a 462 gallon flow rate at the head. Do I need to add wave generators to create more current? I have always found too much current to be distressing to the fish
20220514_075800.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You want moderate current based on fish/coral but if adding DOS or bottom coral such as elegance and meaty coral, you will need added flow

BRS
OP
OP
Jdbrusseau

Jdbrusseau

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want moderate current based on fish/coral but if adding DOS or bottom coral such as elegance and meaty coral, you will need added flow
I purchased a 1050 gallon wave maker. It does a good job of destroying surface tension without putting in too much current. No I just have to find it inexpensive flow meter for my filtration system. I tried the hose ones but they leak really bad

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back