+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Lovely forum, my husband set up a reef tank a while ago and has since moved on to other hobbies. I've inherited caring for it (I'm very inexperienced).

It has two mated Australian reef clown fish (darker type not the bright orange) and used to have a bicolour blenny and some cleaner shrimp that have since vanished.

This morning I was looking for the blenny with a torch before the light came on and discovered an urchin (had no idea it was in there) and something that looks like a lobster (but that can't be right?) or some kind of larger shrimp but it's not like the ones we had previously. Can anyone help me identify the new inhabitants that I suspect were just living their best lives in the liverock.
LXA1zz1.jpg
nUdvHsM.jpg

The ocean is terrifying.

Lovely to meet you all!

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello!

Lovely forum, my husband set up a reef tank a while ago and has since moved on to other hobbies. I've inherited caring for it (I'm very inexperienced).

It has two mated Australian reef clown fish (darker type not the bright orange) and used to have a bicolour blenny and some cleaner shrimp that have since vanished.

This morning I was looking for the blenny with a torch before the light came on and discovered an urchin (had no idea it was in there) and something that looks like a lobster (but that can't be right?) or some kind of larger shrimp but it's not like the ones we had previously. Can anyone help me identify the new inhabitants that I suspect were just living their best lives in the liverock.
LXA1zz1.jpg
nUdvHsM.jpg

The ocean is terrifying.

Lovely to meet you all!
Its a pencil urchin and crab may be petrolisth, abbreviated decorator crab or other xanthid species which i would remove

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The urchin is probably Echinometra mathaei - the burrowing/rock-boring urchin; I can't see the shrimp/lobster thing very well, but those legs look too thick to be any shrimp I know, so I'd guess probably either a lobster or a squat lobster species (I'm leaning toward squat lobster though). If you can get clearer pics of it, that may help with an ID.

Either way, welcome to Reef2Reef!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls
Back