Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently acquired a 75 Gallon setup from a friend of a friend. It came with almost everything needed except a return pump for the sump. What is recommended for a return on a 75 Gallon? Brand? ect. after doing research it appears that the GPH is recommended to be between 375 and 750 GPH. Also it's a DIY Sump what is the best way for the overflow to be attached to the sump with a sock? I'm not going to rush and take my time setting everything up in hope to eliminate problems. I will be putting new sand in to replace the black gravel that it pictured.

Equipment it came with that i can recall. Is there anything else i need to purchase?
Aquamaxx cone style skimmer
spectrapure maxcap ro/di 90 gpd
Kessil AP700 light
bunch of rock
1 large and 2 small heaters
jebao wifi wavemaker
bucket of reef crystals salt
various foods
API Saltwater test kit
API Reef Test kit.

336925948_6461901810509099_6480826136630186238_n.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I would make sure that before you make up your salt - that you mix the salt (in the bucket) - incase some of the elements have settled.
2. I assume you've done a leak test - of all of the equipment - if not - I would.
3. Some people will criticize the API test kits. I find that if you do them correctly (i.e. exactly correctly) - they will work fine.
4. If you took sand from the old tank - I would take it out and thoroughly clean it before using (i.e. rinse under water until clear) tap water is fine - since you're basically starting up a new tank. (PS I see you're planning to replace it - but in case you decide to use it - make sure it's clean).
5. IF you can keep the rocks wet (with salt water) - i.e. in a bucket with a powerhead - assuming that the tank was in use - you can decrease your cycle time. If not - I would rinse/clean them with high pressure tap water (you can also consider soaking in a dilute bleach solution - realizing that you will lose your cycling bacteria).
6. As to the pump - I like the Sicci Brand - here is a nice article on how to size a pump. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/md-2020-11-how-to-size-a-return-pump

Hope this helps - good luck with the tank

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Reef_NOOB_Dan

Reef_NOOB_Dan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I would make sure that before you make up your salt - that you mix the salt (in the bucket) - incase some of the elements have settled.
2. I assume you've done a leak test - of all of the equipment - if not - I would.
3. Some people will criticize the API test kits. I find that if you do them correctly (i.e. exactly correctly) - they will work fine.
4. If you took sand from the old tank - I would take it out and thoroughly clean it before using (i.e. rinse under water until clear) tap water is fine - since you're basically starting up a new tank. (PS I see you're planning to replace it - but in case you decide to use it - make sure it's clean).
5. IF you can keep the rocks wet (with salt water) - i.e. in a bucket with a powerhead - assuming that the tank was in use - you can decrease your cycle time. If not - I would rinse/clean them with high pressure tap water (you can also consider soaking in a dilute bleach solution - realizing that you will lose your cycling bacteria).
6. As to the pump - I like the Sicci Brand - here is a nice article on how to size a pump. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/md-2020-11-how-to-size-a-return-pump

Hope this helps - good luck with the tank
Thank you!
1. i have a 20gal tank that came with everything that was used for mixing.
2. the tank was in use until last week when i received it. I got these items and my friend got the fish and coral that was in it.
3. is there a better option for testing? i've only done Freshwater and the API master kit is the most recommended for fresh.
4. I'm going to buy new sand (Not a fan of the black gravel that came with it.)
5. I'm going to clean the rocks due to not being set up yet to keep them in water, and they have been out of water for a week now.
6. Thank you, I do have a Sicci Syncra HF 10.0 that came with everything but it puts out 2500 GPH and it would take almost 16' of head pressure to being it down to 750 GPH . is it possible to put a valve inline to restrict the flow?

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
1. i have a 20gal tank that came with everything that was used for mixing.
2. the tank was in use until last week when i received it. I got these items and my friend got the fish and coral that was in it.
3. is there a better option for testing? i've only done Freshwater and the API master kit is the most recommended for fresh.
4. I'm going to buy new sand (Not a fan of the black gravel that came with it.)
5. I'm going to clean the rocks due to not being set up yet to keep them in water, and they have been out of water for a week now.
6. Thank you, I do have a Sicci Syncra HF 10.0 that came with everything but it puts out 2500 GPH and it would take almost 16' of head pressure to being it down to 750 GPH . is it possible to put a valve inline to restrict the flow?
I believe that the pump has an ability to adjust the intake on the pump. I'm not sure exactly which one you have - mine does. Additionally, you can use the enclosed adapters - which will also decrease the flow some. I would think, though that that will waste energy - you might be better with a smaller pump unless it's one of the adjustable ones.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Reef_NOOB_Dan

Reef_NOOB_Dan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that the pump has an ability to adjust the intake on the pump. I'm not sure exactly which one you have - mine does. Additionally, you can use the enclosed adapters - which will also decrease the flow some. I would think, though that that will waste energy - you might be better with a smaller pump unless it's one of the adjustable ones.
IMG_0390.jpg
IMG_0391.jpg

This is the pump i have, I looked and don't see any adjustments on it. I'll pick up a different pump i feel like that will be my best bet.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3098853View attachment 3098854

This is the pump i have, I looked and don't see any adjustments on it. I'll pick up a different pump i feel like that will be my best bet.
the adjustment 'knob' is on the back end where water comes in. I agree with you it does not appear to be there on this model. BUT - if you buy a new pump - you can look for that option. Given the flows you want - it seems to me either a 2.5 or 3 would be enough?? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-syncra-silent-3-0-pump-714-gph.html

OP
OP
Reef_NOOB_Dan

Reef_NOOB_Dan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Reef_NOOB_Dan

Reef_NOOB_Dan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, Still not added water yet but i have the plumbing fixed and sump almost ready to go. Trying not to rush and take my time to make sure everything is ready. At this point i just need to add sand, water and start the cycle.

1683311326768.png

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back