Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 7g nano reef tank that I started a few weeks ago. It was seeded with a few bio balls and a piece of live rock/dark rubble from an established tank and has sand plus another piece of (initially) dry live rock. It was also seeded with some Fritz Turbo-Start and dosed with Fritz Fishless Fuel and cycled within a few days. About a week after that, I started running a light schedule in acclimation mode (AI Prime 16HD / 7 day acclimation schedule). Throughout the entire process, the pH has been <7.8 (typically 7.5-7.8) as measured by a calibrated Apex pH probe (calibrated with the provided 7.0 and 10.0 solutions). Alkalinity is in the 7-7.5 range (measured by both a Hanna dKH checker and Apex Trident temporarily running on the tank while I get it going).

I would like to start adding a few coral frags to get things started. However before that I'd really like to raise the pH and alkalinity closer to the "ideal". I totally understand the ideas behind "don't chase numbers" and "stability is key", but since I'm setting this up new, it seems like the best time to get it at least closer to the target range. Large(r) swings in parameters won't affect any corals (or fish) since there aren't any. I had hoped that kalkwasser was the solution since I could raise both alkalinity and pH at the same time, but after an initial dose, both have come back down to the previous (or near previous) levels. Is it just a case that even without coral I'd need to continue to dose kalk to maintain a target level? I don't need to hit the "ideal" values, but I'd prefer to not start at the bottom of the acceptable pH and alkalinity ranges.

Note that I do not have a skimmer or refugium and the tank is in my (private) office in an office building with windows that do not open. So I don't have any traditional recourse to attempt to reduce CO2.

Maybe for this tank I just do regular water changes and let the chips (and parameters) fall where they may, but I'd really like to attempt to more actively maintain the relevant water parameters - even if that means scheduled dosing. I'm not opposed to adding a DOS and dosing kalk, two part, etc... I just hoped to start it near my target parameters, add a few frags and monitor before making decisions about how to maintain things.

One interesting note is that when the pH came down after the kalkwasser dose, it produced a very consistent downward curve approaching the original pH:

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 8.50.00 PM.png

Its not necessarily relevant to this conversation, but I though it was interesting.

Top Shelf Aquatics

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 7g nano reef tank that I started a few weeks ago. It was seeded with a few bio balls and a piece of live rock/dark rubble from an established tank and has sand plus another piece of (initially) dry live rock. It was also seeded with some Fritz Turbo-Start and dosed with Fritz Fishless Fuel and cycled within a few days. About a week after that, I started running a light schedule in acclimation mode (AI Prime 16HD / 7 day acclimation schedule). Throughout the entire process, the pH has been <7.8 (typically 7.5-7.8) as measured by a calibrated Apex pH probe (calibrated with the provided 7.0 and 10.0 solutions). Alkalinity is in the 7-7.5 range (measured by both a Hanna dKH checker and Apex Trident temporarily running on the tank while I get it going).

I would like to start adding a few coral frags to get things started. However before that I'd really like to raise the pH and alkalinity closer to the "ideal". I totally understand the ideas behind "don't chase numbers" and "stability is key", but since I'm setting this up new, it seems like the best time to get it at least closer to the target range. Large(r) swings in parameters won't affect any corals (or fish) since there aren't any. I had hoped that kalkwasser was the solution since I could raise both alkalinity and pH at the same time, but after an initial dose, both have come back down to the previous (or near previous) levels. Is it just a case that even without coral I'd need to continue to dose kalk to maintain a target level? I don't need to hit the "ideal" values, but I'd prefer to not start at the bottom of the acceptable pH and alkalinity ranges.

Note that I do not have a skimmer or refugium and the tank is in my (private) office in an office building with windows that do not open. So I don't have any traditional recourse to attempt to reduce CO2.

Maybe for this tank I just do regular water changes and let the chips (and parameters) fall where they may, but I'd really like to attempt to more actively maintain the relevant water parameters - even if that means scheduled dosing. I'm not opposed to adding a DOS and dosing kalk, two part, etc... I just hoped to start it near my target parameters, add a few frags and monitor before making decisions about how to maintain things.

One interesting note is that when the pH came down after the kalkwasser dose, it produced a very consistent downward curve approaching the original pH:

View attachment 3025168

Its not necessarily relevant to this conversation, but I though it was interesting.
That very high 8.4ish PH value was probably not correct, and the low you see now may not be either. I wouldn't worry about ph at this stage. If your worried about ph for some reason, do easy things to not supress it, like getting a skimmer, opening a window and limiting c02 in the room. But I would get a better understanding of things before you worry about PH and dosing calcium hydroxide to combat a "low ph". JMO

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3025168

Your tank is only a few weeks old and needs to stabilise.

The pH reading is likely incorrect, and is nothing to worry about.

Don't dose anything at the moment, simply add some CUC and do weekly 10% water changes.

I would wait for the uglies to finish before adding any coral.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Back