Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, I heard back from Neptune Support. They correctly diagnosed the issue as a clogged/pinched line. It must have created back pressure and impacted the pump causing it to skip. Neptune support was awesome!
Fantastic! Nice to hear a good customer support sorry for once.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, I heard back from Neptune Support. They correctly diagnosed the issue as a clogged/pinched line. It must have created back pressure and impacted the pump causing it to skip. Neptune support was awesome!
Will this need a new motor or do you need to just free the line?
Curious, if it's just free the clog they must have a clutch in the motor.

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this need a new motor or do you need to just free the line?
Curious, if it's just free the clog they must have a clutch in the motor.
I cleared the line and it is working as expected for now. I’ll do a few more WC’s over the next week as well. If I see an issue re-occur, I will provide an update here.

Top Shelf Aquatics

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleared the line and it is working as expected for now. I’ll do a few more WC’s over the next week as well. If I see an issue re-occur, I will provide an update here.
I use a similar system and have had the same problem. I run 2, 1/4” lines about 60-70’ under my house.

1. You can buy inline pre filters on BRS (or Amazon) to help keep this from happening. I have one on both lines (although the fresh SW one rarely needs cleaning).

2. I installed a “T” in my AWC lines with a valve (I use RO/DI tubing and push connect fittings). I then made a 1/4” push to connect fitting that attached to my air compressor. Once a year I hook up the air compressor to the T, turn off the AWC and close the valves to the DOS pump, and blast air through the tubes to clean them.

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a similar system and have had the same problem. I run 2, 1/4” lines about 60-70’ under my house.

1. You can buy inline pre filters on BRS (or Amazon) to help keep this from happening. I have one on both lines (although the fresh SW one rarely needs cleaning).

2. I installed a “T” in my AWC lines with a valve (I use RO/DI tubing and push connect fittings). I then made a 1/4” push to connect fitting that attached to my air compressor. Once a year I hook up the air compressor to the T, turn off the AWC and close the valves to the DOS pump, and blast air through the tubes to clean them.
I’ll take a look at the pre-filters. How often do those clog up and need cleaning? Thanks for the great tips!

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll take a look at the pre-filters. How often do those clog up and need cleaning? Thanks for the great tips!
Like all filters in our hobby it definitely varies. Waste water line? I would say once every 3-6 months for a dirty tank (no filter socks). Maybe 6-12 months in a clean sump. Remember to install valves as appropriate to make cleaning the filter easy and prevent a siphon.

It just unscrews, you rinse it, screw it back on. It doesn’t detach from the plumbing or anything. You don’t need to soak it overnight. If there is any light where you will install it, get the version that isn’t clear (BRS). If it’s in the dark, get the clear one from Amazon so you can keep an eye on it.

I have cleaned my fresh SW filter once in 3-4 years and I don’t think it actually needed it. After having your particular issue I got annoyed and figured for $10, why not?

Top Shelf Aquatics

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like all filters in our hobby it definitely varies. Waste water line? I would say once every 3-6 months for a dirty tank (no filter socks). Maybe 6-12 months in a clean sump. Remember to install valves as appropriate to make cleaning the filter easy and prevent a siphon.

It just unscrews, you rinse it, screw it back on. It doesn’t detach from the plumbing or anything. You don’t need to soak it overnight. If there is any light where you will install it, get the version that isn’t clear (BRS). If it’s in the dark, get the clear one from Amazon so you can keep an eye on it.

I have cleaned my fresh SW filter once in 3-4 years and I don’t think it actually needed it. After having your particular issue I got annoyed and figured for $10, why not?
I will also mention that if you have the space, “T” your waste water line right before it gets to the tank so you have two tubes sucking waste water in the sump or tank. That way if one clogs in tank, the other will still work.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I will note is holy cow those things are Screamin I use dos for auto water change in mind spin about a quarter as fast as that I bet you it doesn’t last very long going that fast

thewedge

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a really fantastic idea. I can't seem to find the pre-filters at BRS. Do you happen to remember which section it was in? I have been concerned about long-term buildup in the water change lines. This is a great idea on how to clean them.

Nutramar Foods

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really fantastic idea. I can't seem to find the pre-filters at BRS. Do you happen to remember which section it was in? I have been concerned about long-term buildup in the water change lines. This is a great idea on how to clean them.

I also have a 1/2” threaded version (google inline sediment filter) that I use in no-light situations so I can see the filter status. I just use 1/2” thread to push-to-connect fittings but you could use barb too.

thewedge

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also have a 1/2” threaded version (google inline sediment filter) that I use in no-light situations so I can see the filter status. I just use 1/2” thread to push-to-connect fittings but you could use barb too.
Thank you very much! I've been in the hobby 9 years and I can't believe this is the first time I've heard of these things.

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I will note is holy cow those things are Screamin I use dos for auto water change in mind spin about a quarter as fast as that I bet you it doesn’t last very long going that fast
How do you run your changes? Do you do a daily small amount? Mine is set up for 30gallons over 24hrs.

World Wide Corals

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you run your changes? Do you do a daily small amount? Mine is set up for 30gallons over 24hrs.
Holy cow you do 30 gallons a day that’s insane I do 6 gallons a day over 24 hours on my 450 gallon system and my 300gallon system which gives me about 10 to 15% a week I can’t imagine how big your system is at 30 gallons a day

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow you do 30 gallons a day that’s insane I do 6 gallons a day over 24 hours on my 450 gallon system and my 300gallon system which gives me about 10 to 15% a week I can’t imagine how big your system is at 30 gallons a day
It’s a manual setting AWC, so 30g once a week or so when I start it via one of the Feeds. Definitely not every day LOL

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back