Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for everyone’s thoughts on NeoNitro. Sorry @Randy Holmes-Farley I didn’t brew my own. :/

So yesterday I measured my nitrates and they were at 3.3. Today (24 hours later) the nitrates are at 4.4 without additional dosing. Per the instructions I’m guessing I’m not carbon limited (?) since the value did not remain the same. That said is my next step to stop dosing NeoNitro and monitor my nitrate levels to see what happens next?

Thanks in advance!

LiLinka

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottle says it’s recommended to stop dosing once reaching 3.5 PPM. It should naturally rise from there. I would feed extra to the tank but make sure not to over feed. From my experience of neo nitro I dosed my level to 4.5 PPM and a week later it tested 8. I would wait a few days then test again.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottle says it’s recommended to stop dosing once reaching 3.5 PPM. It should naturally rise from there. I would feed extra to the tank but make sure not to over feed. From my experience of neo nitro I dosed my level to 4.5 PPM and a week later it tested 8. I would wait a few days then test again.
@LiLinka thank you. To be honest, I had a hard time with the directions so appreciate the guidance.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for everyone’s thoughts on NeoNitro. Sorry @Randy Holmes-Farley I didn’t brew my own. :/

So yesterday I measured my nitrates and they were at 3.3. Today (24 hours later) the nitrates are at 4.4 without additional dosing. Per the instructions I’m guessing I’m not carbon limited (?) since the value did not remain the same. That said is my next step to stop dosing NeoNitro and monitor my nitrate levels to see what happens next?

Thanks in advance!

Brightwell has nonsensical comments about the carbon limitation. Ignore that section entirely.

That said, if you are at your target level, stopping or slowing dosing is certainly fine to see what happens to nitrate. Expect it to drop.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How does it make sense that adding a small amount of nitrate makes it keep rising over time?

Regardless, that is not a general result, and most people using it end up dosing some every day.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is ammonium in it it will take some time to be converted to nitrate. But who knows what is in there- nitrogen salts they say :)))))

If there is enough ammonia that it might later become multiple ppm of nitrate (unlikely, I doubt there is any ammonia in it), I wouldn't use it. lol

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update and follow up question for NeoNitro. I stopped dosing NeoNitro a week ago when my nitrate level reached 4.4. Today (seven days later) my nitrates are around 0.7

Am I supposed to dose NeoNitro to maintain a target level?

TIA

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update and follow up question for NeoNitro. I stopped dosing NeoNitro a week ago when my nitrate level reached 4.4. Today (seven days later) my nitrates are around 0.7

TIA
Most people dosing nitrate do so every day, or at least in an ongoing fashion.

I’d switch to food grade sodium or calcium nitrate when the neonitro runs out. It’s cheaper, has a known composition, and has a purity assurance Brightwell doesn’t provide.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people dosing nitrate do so every day, or at least in an ongoing fashion.

I’d switch to food grade sodium or calcium nitrate when the neonitro runs out. It’s cheaper, has a known composition, and has a purity assurance Brightwell doesn’t provide.
Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley I‘m continuing to add to my bioload so hopefully dosing over the long term doesn’t become necessary. But if it does I’ll be looking for your guidance!

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TIA
I had to double dose neonitro for months when the tank was young and unstable. Eventually your bioload will be large enough that it will not be necessary. You can also cut back on export to maintain nitrates level which you want at 10 not 5.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AquaCave Logo Banner
Back