Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like many have too many tanks. I do have a good routine for maintenance, and water changes. But there is one tank down in my man's cave that gets neglected now and then. I have to keep all the tanks throughout the house looking perfect but since I'm the only one who sees this neglected tank I have at times severely dropped the ball on this tank. No water changes for 3-4 months, not cleaning the skimmer cup till it starts to bubble out, and the filter sock overflows every time before I change it. Hell, I don't even scrape the glass till I can't see in it... but despite all the neglect it grows corals better than all my other tanks... Why how can this be?? Has anyone else run into this? It drives me crazy!

Nutramar Foods

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped doing water changes 2 years ago and haven't looked back. I also consolidated 3 tanks into one larger one. Bliss!
How do you find it no water changes just topping of the water interesting. Do you think you’ve gained pros and cons

Nutramar Foods

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you find it no water changes just topping of the water interesting. Do you think you’ve gained pros and cons
Pros: A lot less work and salt mixing, that's for sure. Salinity is very easy to maintain, since I only need to replace what small amounts I use when drip acclimating.

Cons: I do have to dose trace elements and more alkalinity, magnesium and calcium than I would if I I did regular water changes. And I do test for things like iron, iodine and potassium.

I also run a UV system 24/7 and an ozone system to "replenish" the saltwater, and I think both are definitely needed long-term if you go this route.

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pros: A lot less work and salt mixing, that's for sure. Salinity is very easy to maintain, since I only need to replace what small amounts I use when drip acclimating.

Cons: I do have to dose trace elements and more alkalinity, magnesium and calcium than I would if I I did regular water changes. And I do test for things like iron, iodine and potassium.

I also run a UV system 24/7 and an ozone system to "replenish" the saltwater, and I think both are definitely needed long-term if you go this route.
Great insight to not doing water changes thank you blaxsun

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pirates Reef Corals
Back