Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some more advice. I need to move my 75G FOWLR to a different room in my house.
Tank has been established for 5 years, and is home to:
-One Spot Fox Face, Yellow Tang, 3 Clowns, Strawberry Anthias, Purple DottyBack, Choclate Chip SeaStar, Black Spiny Urchin, Pencil Urchin, 2 Conchs
Trying to decide if I should move as is, or go big with a 200G.

My 75G has about 200lb of live rock, with a cannister filter.
I'm looking for advice on if I get the 200, could I:
*move 70gallons or so from the existing tank, move all the rock, move the media from the cannister into the new sump, and transplant all livestock?
or, do I have to figure out a way to get the 200 cycled first, and then move the tank subsequently?

I can have 200gallons of new RODI ready, but I'm concerned about how to migrate from 75-200gallons without loosing my healthy bacteria mix

Top Shelf Aquatics

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some more advice. I need to move my 75G FOWLR to a different room in my house.
Tank has been established for 5 years, and is home to:
-One Spot Fox Face, Yellow Tang, 3 Clowns, Strawberry Anthias, Purple DottyBack, Choclate Chip SeaStar, Black Spiny Urchin, Pencil Urchin, 2 Conchs
Trying to decide if I should move as is, or go big with a 200G.

My 75G has about 200lb of live rock, with a cannister filter.
I'm looking for advice on if I get the 200, could I:
*move 70gallons or so from the existing tank, move all the rock, move the media from the cannister into the new sump, and transplant all livestock?
or, do I have to figure out a way to get the 200 cycled first, and then move the tank subsequently?

I can have 200gallons of new RODI ready, but I'm concerned about how to migrate from 75-200gallons without loosing my healthy bacteria mix
IMHO - you can move everything (except any sand) at one time. Much of the bacteria will be in your rock. You can also - as an insurance policy - add something like Fritz 9000 per their directions. I have done this multiple times - with no issues.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - since you are adding a fair bit more water volume - the waste production per volume of water will also be lower. Also - make sure you keep your canister filter running while you do the change - and iMHO - just leave the canister filter running for a while - as the sump ramps up.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
GDD66

GDD66

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO - you can move everything (except any sand) at one time. Much of the bacteria will be in your rock. You can also - as an insurance policy - add something like Fritz 9000 per their directions. I have done this multiple times - with no issues.
Thanks.....seems like a safe approach

Avast

kshaw

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only done fresh before but theory should be the same. Someone here will correct me if I am wrong. I started filling new tank half full. Then clean the heck out of the substrate and get it into the new tank with any live rock. Let it settle for a little about an hour or so. Finish filling up the tank. Move filtration/ equipment over. Run an appropriate power head in old tank while doing the equipment moving to keep water oxygenated. then drain tank old tank to catch livestock and do your acclimation with the new tank water for your livestock. Then add. Never lost a fish In the half a dozen tank upgrades / changes.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SR
Back