Need thoughts on sump plumbing 1st timer (180 gallon Shallow Reef DIY build)

AI Nero 5

Nate Chalk

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay we have put the tank on the stand, Very Heavy, had a buddy help.

Plumbing is dry fit currently. Would like feedback if everything looks good or if I need to change anything (means ordering more parts, so hope not)

It's my first time running a sump so.... My main drain has the gate valve, the middle is the back up, and the other is the emergency. I haven't fitted the pipes inside the overflow box but will.

Follow the full build thread here, https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/72x30x18-diy-build-thread.772638/

IMG_20210327_172513.jpg IMG_20210327_172530.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
Avast

Pshopcars107

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice and neat! good job for your first one.

1. I would have some kind of valve on the return pump to be able to shut off flow or adjust it for any reason.
2. maybe add a T fitting somewhere on the return for easy water changes. you can add a barb fitting with valve to turn that on and off.
3. make sure you have a pinhole in that return line where it comes into the tank, I wouldn't rely on the checkvalve 100%.
4. Might want to switch to a flex line on your return pump to reduce vibrations. I used like a foot or so then converted it back to pvc.
5. this is just an opinion as I hated the waterfall trickle noise. but the water tank that fills from your drains then overflows down into the socks was super noisy for me. I ended up pluming into the socks with flex instead of using that rear waterbox portion. made it silent.

hope this helps, I just went through the same situation a little while ago.

OP
OP
Nate Chalk

Nate Chalk

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice and neat! good job for your first one.

1. I would have some kind of valve on the return pump to be able to shut off flow or adjust it for any reason.
2. maybe add a T fitting somewhere on the return for easy water changes. you can add a barb fitting with valve to turn that on and off.
3. make sure you have a pinhole in that return line where it comes into the tank, I wouldn't rely on the checkvalve 100%.
4. Might want to switch to a flex line on your return pump to reduce vibrations. I used like a foot or so then converted it back to pvc.
5. this is just an opinion as I hated the waterfall trickle noise. but the water tank that fills from your drains then overflows down into the socks was super noisy for me. I ended up pluming into the socks with flex instead of using that rear waterbox portion. made it silent.

hope this helps, I just went through the same situation a little while ago.
thank you for the input! I ended up glueing what I had. If the sound from the return pump is terrible i will cut and add a barb like you said. The pump has a controller to turn off power so I was hoping to use that, I totally hear you on the pin hole. TY

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pacific East
Back