Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 150gallon tank thats in the process of cycling i have live rock, live sand, neptune apex the whole setup with trident, dosing and dosing skimmer and sump. I used turbo start and 2 small clowns to do cycle and everything seems to be going good.I also have a 60gallon frag tank thats cycled. Heres the problem a friend tank sprung a bad leak and he just quit , so he comes to my house with a 50 gallon tub with 13 fish in it mostly tangs , mandarin goby, foxface,triger, and clowns. Do any one heave ideas on how i can manage this eitheir way seems screwed and fish store way to far and i would like to try to keep them if i canbelowe were my ideas.

1. Put it 150 and put safe in everyday until tank can establish itself
2. Setup some QT stations i have a 30 gal long, 20 gallon long and (3) 10 gallon tanks Do water refresh every week

any ideas or suggestions are welcomed the more the merrier

Top Shelf Aquatics

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cally2k that’s a nice problem to have. If you’ve used Turbostart your tank is cycled and can probably handle more fish. If the fish were healthy at your friends house I would just go for it — or maybe three fish at a time over four days or so.

By the way. I wouldn’t use safe. You have a full blown system. Just watch for ammonia and nitrate levels

OP
OP
cally2k

cally2k

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cally2k that’s a nice problem to have. If you’ve used Turbostart your tank is cycled and can probably handle more fish. If the fish were healthy at your friends house I would just go for it — or maybe three fish at a time over four days or so.

By the way. I wouldn’t use safe. You have a full blown system. Just watch for ammonia and nitrate levels
even with that i still need a place for the remaining 10

Avast

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously it can be done just like the fully stocked tanks that just appear at shows. Your tank is cycled for the current bioload just not for 15 fish.
I'm not sure if additional turbostart would help as I'm not familiar with using it in this way. I'm sure someone here has done similar?

OP
OP
cally2k

cally2k

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously it can be done just like the fully stocked tanks that just appear at shows. Your tank is cycled for the current bioload just not for 15 fish.
I'm not sure if additional turbostart would help as I'm not familiar with using it in this way. I'm sure someone here has done similar?
agreed thats why i said if i put them in their i can put safe in their untill it acclimates to the bioload

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your 150 gallon tank been cycling? I am thinking that at least some of those fish should go in your tank and you can feed them very lightly. Quite a few can go in the established 60 gallon frag system. And the rest can go in the 30 gallon where you can manage ammonia with water changes.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
cally2k

cally2k

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your 150 gallon tank been cycling? I am thinking that at least some of those fish should go in your tank and you can feed them very lightly. Quite a few can go in the established 60 gallon frag system. And the rest can go in the 30 gallon where you can manage ammonia with water changes.
not long at all its been a week i just checked amonia low nitrites high, but if the ammonia and nitrate is just the problem cant safe take car of that?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not long at all its been a week i just checked amonia low nitrites high, but if the ammonia and nitrate is just the problem cant safe take car of that?
It's not safe to add fish with ammonia and nitrite still reading. I was hoping that the cycle was further along.

Eric R.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he happen to bring any rock from his system, or did he happen to keep it wet such that you can drop it into some of your smaller tanks, spread out the fish bioload? Using established rock and keeping a small number of fish per tank might help you control ammonia levels. If it's old rock, be sure to rinse it very thoroughly with clean saltwater and use a turkey baster to blast out any gunk before putting into a new tank or you may end up with fairly high nitrates.

Avast

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he happen to bring any rock from his system, or did he happen to keep it wet such that you can drop it into some of your smaller tanks, spread out the fish bioload? Using established rock and keeping a small number of fish per tank might help you control ammonia levels. If it's old rock, be sure to rinse it very thoroughly with clean saltwater and use a turkey baster to blast out any gunk before putting into a new tank or you may end up with fairly high nitrates.
Yes, I think if this is possible that it is a good idea.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Inkbird
Back