Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to take the plundge into the saltwater hobby and i have been looking all over the internet to find a tank that suits my need and budget i found that the Fluval Evo 13.5 or 12 gallon tank suits my needs the only problem is that it does not come with a protein skimmer but you are able to buy one separately for the tank i was just wondering is the skimmer actually worth it and how will it help my tank compared to having no skimmer at all.

Thank you, Ben :)

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank that small, you’d be better served by doing weekly water changes. Nano skimmers, especially for tanks that small are terribly inefficient and don’t particularly work that well. Save your money and frustration and skip the skimmer.

Nutramar Foods

Homelander

I'm Homelander, I can do whatever I want.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif

If you do consistent water changes a skimmer isn't necessary. However if you do end up getting one a nano skimmer would probably be best. Something along the lines of this

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hydor-slim-skim-nano-protein-skimmer.html

Orm Embar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the camp of "macroalgae (dragon's breath or gracilaria) in display, hold the skimmer and see how things work" camp. Mechanical filtration, rinsed twice weekly or more, would also help reduce nitrate/phosphate. I don't know if a nano skimmer would do much or not.

OP
OP
G

ggben321

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're worth it. They keep the poop out, unless you're motivated enough to consistently do a decent water change once a week. Usually you keep them in a sump. Do you plan on using a sump?

Thank you for your quick reply and No i dont plan on using a sump just what comes with the tank unless its a must

BRS

Cherub

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your quick reply and No i dont plan on using a sump just what comes with the tank unless its a must
Sumps aren't a must. They just help a lot. Not only is more water volume helpful but they allow a place for all of your equipment without sacrificing your display. Heaters, skimmers, filter socks, and even a refugium can easily be kept in a sump. It also allows a place to dose additives and supplements without pouring them directly into the tank which can often shock or damage corals undiluted. If you plan on keeping corals you will end up dosing either 2 part or kalk. Agin unless you're really good about your water changes, but most peole have their moments, vacations etc. You don't need a sump, but I have never heard someone say they regret their sump. They help a lot.

Jacobscorals

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval 13.5 and here is what has been done to get it right.remove stock pump and replace with mj 1200 cheap and position jets to disturb the surface and put live rock rubble in intake chamber half full.middle chamber put filter floss in both holes of foam insert and a small pack of chemipure blue or aquamaxx ultramaxx in with pump chamber and enjoy your fluval 13.5

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re getting an AIO like a Fluval Evo, keep it simple and work to optimize the filtration space in the rear chambers. If your going for a sumped system, you should reevaluate your tank choice and volume size.

OP
OP
G

ggben321

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps aren't a must. They just help a lot. Not only is more water volume helpful but they allow a place for all of your equipment without sacrificing your display. Heaters, skimmers, filter socks, and even a refugium can easily be kept in a sump. It also allows a place to dose additives and supplements without pouring them directly into the tank which can often shock or damage corals undiluted. If you plan on keeping corals you will end up dosing either 2 part or kalk. Agin unless you're really good about your water changes, but most peole have their moments, vacations etc. You don't need a sump, but I have never heard someone say they regret their sump. They help a lot.

Alright thanks :)

newfishkeeper88

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the 13.5 then a 30L and now a red sea 350. The bigger tank is way easier to care for then the other two were. I haven't done a water change in 2 weeks (I will this weekend) but all water paremeters are good and everyone is happy.

Michael Llabona

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally didn't care for the filtration design of the Fluval. I don't think it's efficient at all. I would go with the small biocube (now have an LED one). No need for skimmer if you do weekly water change of about 10%. If you can't commit to that then you need the skimmer and even then you should be doing water changes every 2 weeks to maintain levels

OP
OP
G

ggben321

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally didn't care for the filtration design of the Fluval. I don't think it's efficient at all. I would go with the small biocube (now have an LED one). No need for skimmer if you do weekly water change of about 10%. If you can't commit to that then you need the skimmer and even then you should be doing water changes every 2 weeks to maintain levels

I was thinking about having the skimmer and doing weekly water changes to keep the water nice and clean or is that just really inefficient

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what tank are you going with? The EVO 13.5? If we know what tank you’re going with, we could narrow down what skimmer options you have to work with if you’re leaning in that direction. There are many here who have first hand experience here with AIO nano tanks that could help you out.

OP
OP
G

ggben321

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what tank are you going with? The EVO 13.5? If we know what tank you’re going with, we could narrow down what skimmer options you have to work with if you’re leaning in that direction. There are many here who have first hand experience here with AIO nano tanks that could help you out.

Yeah im going with the 13.5

randy4083

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller tanks are alot harder to take care of and it's really best to get a big tank because once you start your gonna want a bigger tank because this hobby is a very addictive but do what you can or want just letting you know

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like you’ll be limited to the proprietary Fluval PS2 protein skimmer as I don’t see any other aftermarket skimmers that will fit in the rear chambers of the EVO 13.5. Check out YouTube for reviews and tuning tips for that particular Skimmer and maintenance tips for that particular tank.

CLICK TO VIEW

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two Evos and use the PS 2 skimmer which works pretty well once you get it tuned (cut a notch in the adjustment so you know how open your skimmer intake is btw). The Aquatic life 115 has the same footprint and is another good choice. I say "good" with the caution that there is probably no such thing as a "great" nano skimmer.

I do weekly water changes and use skimmers in these small tanks to provide an extra level of filtration/export, understanding the difficulty in maintaining stable parameters in a tank of this size.

Good luck

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

FM
Back