+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Looking to get some insight on some old dried up rock that I was able to get from someone who took down their tank a while back. Just starting out and I'm pretty clueless when it come to rock. Some of it looks like what I see on here and some of it looks much different almost "fake" ? And some of it is really brown.

IMG_20200908_192752.jpg

IMG_20200908_192758.jpg
IMG_20200908_192849.jpg

Basically I just want to make sure the rock I add will be beneficial/ become live rock

And for the brown rock is that just normal or can it be cleaned?
IMG_20200908_192545.jpg

Any help appreciated!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all looks good! Don't worry about the color... it'll all changed over time anyhow.

I would definitely cure the rock before use, though....at least a few weeks while watching if ammonia begins present in the curing water. This will clear off any of the dead organics so you don't have any big nutrient spikes while cycling your aquarium.

I bet it won't take long to cure... the rock looks pretty clean.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The super brown rock is just rock that has some crud on it. I like acid washing it (place it in a muriatic acid bath), since the crud just foams to the top, and you can toss it. Only problem, is that it's an acid wash, so you have to be careful to not let it soak too long, or else you just get rock soup....

And yes, please cure your rock prior to adding to the tank.

OP
OP
V

Vsrt17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The super brown rock is just rock that has some crud on it. I like acid washing it (place it in a muriatic acid bath), since the crud just foams to the top, and you can toss it. Only problem, is that it's an acid wash, so you have to be careful to not let it soak too long, or else you just get rock soup....

And yes, please cure your rock prior to adding to the tank.
Would a vinegar bath be beneficial? I'd rather not do the muriatic acid. If so what would be a good ratio and soak time. I saw 30% vinegar at home Depot if that would be better.

shred5

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bleach it first with bleach and water. You need pure bleach with no scent or additives like thickener. You could even use some pool shock that is pure.

I would then soak it in water and add dechlorinator and let it sit for a day or so. Then I would put it in the sun and let it dry for a couple of days to make sure all the bleach dissipates. I would then soak it in vinegar.

I have reused tons of old live rock this way.

AS

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a vinegar bath be beneficial? I'd rather not do the muriatic acid. If so what would be a good ratio and soak time. I saw 30% vinegar at home Depot if that would be better.

I would soak in 1:10 bleach for a week or so.

I was on the same route as you. Got rocks from fellow reefers and I put them in a 20g brute bucket, and pour 1g of bleach. Left it for a week.

Dried it off for couple days. Soaked in rodi water for a week. Dried it off, then in the tank.. should have just let it cycled in the bucket too.. but wasnt patient enough. Tank was ready. LoL

OP
OP
V

Vsrt17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would soak in 1:10 bleach for a week or so.

I was on the same route as you. Got rocks from fellow reefers and I put them in a 20g brute bucket, and pour 1g of bleach. Left it for a week.

Dried it off for couple days. Soaked in rodi water for a week. Dried it off, then in the tank.. should have just let it cycled in the bucket too.. but wasnt patient enough. Tank was ready. LoL
Is there a recommended bleach?, everything I see has some sort of additive or is no splash Wich apparently is also not safe to use.

CLICK TO VIEW

shred5

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a recommended bleach?, everything I see has some sort of additive or is no splash Wich apparently is also not safe to use.

I had the same issue.. Mostly the cheaper bleaches are pure chlorine bleach. I had been buying them from the dollar store for a while. I found pool shock from Walmart which is pure and it also is way higher concentration, so all in all less water added = cheaper. I just dilute it a little more.

I would not recommend that with the colormax. I had heard that is a additive that aint recommended for this use.
I have not heard of anyone having issues but when researching it they said no do not use it and also not for pools.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue.. Mostly the cheaper bleaches are pure chlorine bleach. I had been buying them from the dollar store for a while. I now buy pool shock from Walmart which is pure and it also is way higher concentration, so all in all less water added = cheaper. I just dilute it a little more.

I would not recommend that with the colormax. I had heard that is a additive that aint recommended for this use.
I have not heard of anyone having issues but when researching it they said no do not use it and also not for pools.

Welp... Kinda too late for me. It was in and my rocks are in the tank now.
How would I know if there are signs of problem?
At this time, I have 2 clowns, 1 bicolor blenny, cleaner shrimps, snails and hermit crabs for few weeks already
They are looking fine. Oo and some corals I just put in.

AquaCave Logo Banner
Nutramar Foods

Tiki Reef Joshua

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future reference I would just get a tote, fill it with salt water, throw in a few pieces or spheres from a trusted system and some of their water, maybe add bottled bacteria for extra measure and let it brew. Let it get good and ready. Then add to your system. I have had luck with that method. Probably still get some ugly, but not as bad.

shred5

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp... Kinda too late for me. It was in and my rocks are in the tank now.
How would I know if there are signs of problem?
At this time, I have 2 clowns, 1 bicolor blenny, cleaner shrimps, snails and hermit crabs for few weeks already
They are looking fine. Oo and some corals I just put in.

I have heard of others using it on their rocks and on their filter socks. I have not heard of any issues I just heard colormax is some type of polymer and should not be used. I researched it a long time ago so I do not remember the specifics.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back