Need Help with New Bicolor Foxface

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Bicolor Foxface on Sunday from my LFS. I brought it home and placed it in a 32 gal biocube QT tank. On Monday, I noticed he was not swimming around much and seemed to be breathing fast with his mouth open. He tried to eat a very small amount (nori, mysis) and lethargically picked at a rock with some algae. On Tuesday and Wednesday, he would not eat at all but was still breathing fast.

On Thursday, he became more active and decided to eat fairly well (seaweed extreme, mysis - hasn't touched the nori since Monday) but the breathing is still very rapid with the mouth open. Today, he ate some but not like yesterday. I'm wondering it has flukes or something else going on and if I should do a FW dip and medicate. Meds on hand are Prazipro, Hydroplex, Metroplex, and Kanoplex. Finally, when it is not swimming around, it often hangs out at a 45 degree angle with the head up.

The Foxface is the only thing in the tank minus a snail and hermit crab. Before adding the fish, it had been fallow for at least three months.

SG: 1.026
Temp: 79
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

Food
Mysis
Nori
Seaweed Extreme Pellets

Here are a couple short videos: The first one is from Monday and the second is from today.

Attachments

• IMG_2764.mov
    35.7 MB
  • IMG_2764.mov
    35.7 MB
  • IMG_2776.mov
    40.7 MB
  • IMG_2776.mov
    40.7 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I picked up a Bicolor Foxface on Sunday from my LFS. I brought it home and placed it in a 32 gal biocube QT tank. On Monday, I noticed he was not swimming around much and seemed to be breathing fast with his mouth open. He tried to eat a very small amount (nori, mysis) and lethargically picked at a rock with some algae. On Tuesday and Wednesday, he would not eat at all but was still breathing fast.

On Thursday, he became more active and decided to eat fairly well (seaweed extreme, mysis - hasn't touched the nori since Monday) but the breathing is still very rapid with the mouth open. Today, he ate some but not like yesterday. I'm wondering it has flukes or something else going on and if I should do a FW dip and medicate. Meds on hand are Prazipro, Hydroplex, Metroplex, and Kanoplex. Finally, when it is not swimming around, it often hangs out at a 45 degree angle with the head up.

The Foxface is the only thing in the tank minus a snail and hermit crab. Before adding the fish, it had been fallow for at least three months.

SG: 1.026
Temp: 79
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

Food
Mysis
Nori
Seaweed Extreme Pellets

Here are a couple short videos: The first one is from Monday and the second is from today.
This is the reason for quarantine as there may be gill flukes, reason for the breathing. Other would be dissolved oxygen ( add an air stone) and also assure ammonia and ph arent elevated

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the reason for quarantine as there may be gill flukes, reason for the breathing. Other would be dissolved oxygen ( add an air stone) and also assure ammonia and ph arent elevated
I do have an airstone going and I agree that quarantine is mandatory - at least for me. Could it benefit from a FW dip and then medicate with Prazi?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the air stone going strong? I couldn’t see it in the video.

Gill parasites are the common cause of rapid breathing. Velvet causes the fish to stop eating in a day or so and then the fish dies a few days after that. Gill flukes cause rapid breathing, but the fish will continue to eat for a week or so.

You could try a 5 minute FW dip, just to see if the symptoms improve after a day. If so, it’s most likely flukes and you can then treat with prazipro.

OP
OP
E

Eviltuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the air stone going strong? I couldn’t see it in the video.

Gill parasites are the common cause of rapid breathing. Velvet causes the fish to stop eating in a day or so and then the fish dies a few days after that. Gill flukes cause rapid breathing, but the fish will continue to eat for a week or so.

You could try a 5 minute FW dip, just to see if the symptoms improve after a day. If so, it’s most likely flukes and you can then treat with prazipro.
Thank you.

I believe the air stone is going strong - it is in the overflow of the all-in-one. I can connect another tube and place it in the main tank if you think that will help. I did a FW dip for 5 min. There might have been a few white things in the bucket but not like some of the videos I've seen.

Unfortunately, I did not know at that time that RO water was not the best as I did not adjust for ph...hopefully it is okay. He is still breathing extremely fast.

Any thoughts on starting Prazipro anyway?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You want the airstone in the tank and not overflow for best delivery of oxygen

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

I believe the air stone is going strong - it is in the overflow of the all-in-one. I can connect another tube and place it in the main tank if you think that will help. I did a FW dip for 5 min. There might have been a few white things in the bucket but not like some of the videos I've seen.

Unfortunately, I did not know at that time that RO water was not the best as I did not adjust for ph...hopefully it is okay. He is still breathing extremely fast.

Any thoughts on starting Prazipro anyway?
The air stone should be out in the tank itself.

Prazipro is pretty safe, so if you have it on hand, I think you can go ahead and use it.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back